Refund? How Much? Asap

Business By melodyscakes Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 9:34pm by margaretb

melodyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 39

I got a call from a brides father, and he said that the cake they ordered two weekends ago had the wrong flavors and fillings. I really can't see how that happened, but can't guarantee that it didn't since I didn't do the all the cakes....I have employees who help.
I took his name and number and told him to let me investigate....what should I offer?

thanks,

melody

38 replies
FatFace Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 39

To me this is a difficult situation. I would have to know a little more about the person who ordered the cakes. Why wait two weeks to bring this up now? Could it be that he is suffering from buyer's remorse and has spent too much on his daughter's wedding? In the future I would consider informing customers in the contract that if they find any problems related to the fillings/flavors of the cake they need to save a small portion of it. i would also have a grace period for other claims. When the cake is all gone there isn't much evidence left.
Again this is only my opinion

ccr03 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 39

Do you have a signed contract w/the flavors and fillings listed? You can pull that out and say, "nope, here's the contract."

If you did do the wrong the flavors, I'd offer a refund of some sort.

melodyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 39

she ordered different flavors and dad said the entire cake was white cake with raspberry filling. I can kinda see how my cake guy could have gotten confused....her can was choc. raspberry with raspberry filling on 3 of the tiers, French van. with bavarian filling in the other tiers.
so it very well could have happened....what should I do to be fair? the cake looked awesome!

melody

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 39

I would ask for proof....like a picture. Surely they don't expect you to just take their word for it. They ate the cake so what is a refund going to do? The event is over the cake is gone. Ask yourself if you were in their situation what would rectify it? Probably nothing.

ccr03 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 39

Go with your gut. If you feel there could have been a mistake and the dad is NOT just trying to get a refund, make it right. Offer a refund that you think is appropriate. It sounds like the whole cake was incorrect, so maybe a 50% refund? Half of the order was wrong (the other half being the right decoration).

Idk - just a thought.

SugarBakers05 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 39

50% sounds right to me, I don't think he's looking for a freebie

snarkybaker Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #8 of 39

JMO, YMMV etc....Somebody calls me two weeks later and that is suspicious. If there is a problem, they are usually pretty quick to let you know.

I would send a nice email saying " Gosh, I wish you would have contacted us sooner, we have a 72 hour policy,blah blah blah.".and offer them a gift certificate for a free anniversary cake as a way of making ammends.

charlieinMO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 39

I like txkat's repsonse but if you don't feel like you can say that then I would offer them 25 or 30%. They did eat it after all. You can even explain that it has been over two weeks etc etc. Good luck

justsweet Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 39

I can see you giving a refund but before you give 50% refund did you charge extra for gumpaste flowers, decorations or extra for the design plus did you deliver the cake.

A refund for the cake not for extra charges because they got cake they wanted (design wise) and delivery (no refund on delivery or set up fee if you charge for that). Mistakes happen. Just my opinion.

By the what bride/groom on mother/mother-in-law would not call you right away complaining about the cake.

melodyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 39

I don't charge extra for the fillings....I should but don't, and I tell my brides that I don't charge for the fillings....I should but don't.
so, from what I understand is the fillings where wrong. all the cake was white, but different types of white cake...I remember making French van. and my white choc. raspberry which are both white, so it looks like most of the fillings where raspberry, but the bottom 14" should have been bav. cream.
so 50% refund is out of the question....but I do feel I need to offer something.
thank you all, and I apreciate your advice....keep it coming if you want

melodyscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 39

oops, the fillings should have been choc. except for the bottom 14" which should have been bav. cream.
sorry

moreCakePlz Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #13 of 39

So the cake flavors were correct but all the fillings were wrong? JMO, but refund the value of the fillings. Offer him a 5-10% refund or a free 8â cake if he prefers.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 39

Tongue in cheek~~
Offer him a sleeve of bavarian and tell him to knock himself out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would also inquire as to why the two week delay if there was a problem. There's something not smeling just exactly right here.

I mean honestly plan A --I would say, I'm so sorry that happened, thank you for bringing that to my attention, is there anything else I can do for you? I would just take a little heat from him and let it ride.

A restaurant will comp a dessert in a case like this at the time though. I think that's a good barometer. I think a small discount on a future order is more than fair or a dozen free cupcakes, or muffins used within the next 30 days.

I mean they had the full use of the cake for all their guests. None of the guests clutched their chests and spit in their hands said, "Omg this is not bavarian!"

KoryAK Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 39

Yeah, offer something not not too much. It wasn't like the flavors were THAT off or you included something they were allergic to. I'd do 15% maybe? Or a $100 GC?

summernoelle Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Tongue in cheek~~
Offer him a sleeve of bavarian and tell him to knock himself out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

icon_lol.gif Yeah, just do that! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

melodyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #17 of 39

you guys crack me up!

melody

loriemoms Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:01am
post #18 of 39

I agree, two weeks seems kind of long, but maybe the father didnt know what was suppose to be ordered, and the bride just got back from her honeymoon, and they were dicussing it? You never know. Did he ASK for a refund or just call and to "let you know"?

I would offer them a certificate for a really nice cake, at a certain value (a little better then an anniversary cake) That way they can use it for a birthday or something.

In the future, you might want to start putting together a baking and decorating sheet. What I do is make up a sheet for every order and it goes with that order. Then as the order is made, it is double checked and then filed away after the order is completed. (this file contains the contract, any other notes, a tasting sheet, drawing of cake, etc) That way, if anyone calls, you an refer back to your notes.

Hey mistakes happen, especailly if cake flavors look alike, and at least this way you will know if you really made a mistake or not.

MaisieBake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 39

Backing up, how is it that "french vanilla" cake looks like white cake? "French vanilla" should be yellow, ISTM.

melodyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #20 of 39

French van. was yellow.

the update:
the father called me back, for I told him to give me a day to research because I really thought he was full of it.
anyway, this father, lets call him a "dadzilla"
omg said that having the fillings...which I did NOT charge for anyway, practically ruined the entire wedding day and he felt the only way to rectify this situation was a 100% refund! give me a freakin' break!
I said I was very sorry the fillings were wrong, and I could see how my employee confused them with the way I wrote it, and I could not give a 100% refund, so he insisted on a bit more then half. grrrrrr
I agree to half a refund to shut the ball baby up.....I again told him to tell his daughter I was sorry, what is her address so I could mail her a check....
get this, he said , well her mother and I paid for the cake, so send us the refund.
excuse me, if your daughter is so distraught, why the he!! are you getting yourself a refund?

grrrrrr

I wonder really if there is an article going around that tells brides (or there parents ) to get the wedding of their dreams, forget the cost because when its over complain about everything and get part of your money back.

grrrrrrr

melody

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 9:48pm
post #21 of 39

Sometimes you just have to stick to your guns and your customer satisfaction policies. I would in no way have given a 50% refund....but that is just me. Also, I would have only dealt with the person that signed the contract and paid for the cake....hopefully it was the FOB or he just made himself a quick buck! tapedshut.gif

andrea7 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:02pm
post #22 of 39

ok. maybe I missed something, but why is the father calling you. I have set my contract up so only the bride can make the complaint by, such in such time. When the bride is signing the contract i'm explaining to her that she now is the only one in control of her cake from this point on. No phone calls from anyone else changing things etc. If there is a refund due I don't care who pays for the cake, the refund goes to the bride. How come the bride is not calling you? Did the father come and choose the cake. The bride may not even know what's going on and the father has buyers remorse. Working in retail for so long I have seen eveything. You need to change your contracts so this doesn't happen again. The thing that bothers me the most is waiting two weeks to complain. I really feel that you have been scamed. What a drama king. Life's to short.
Andrea

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 39

I am as grieved as you are that it came to that. So so sorry.

What a weeny little man. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If the fillings in a cake can practically ruin an entire wedding day, deliver me! Little fragile are we?

melodyscakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #24 of 39

I asked him why it took so long to call, he said they left the very next day for the honey moon......yep, THEY left mom and dad went on honeymoon with the bride and groom. okay. thats strange, but whatever.
I will call the bride and personally apologize that her day was ruined, but more importantly to let her know her dad is getting 1/2 his money back for her cake. weird.

I'll give him a refund, but am going to change my contract to say I only deal with the bride, not dadzilla.

grrrrr

thanks guys.

melody

Mamas Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:22pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I am as grieved as you are that it came to that. So so sorry.

What a weeny little man. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If the fillings in a cake can practically ruin an entire wedding day, deliver me! Little fragile are we?

I mean they had the full use of the cake for all their guests. None of the guests clutched their chests and spit in their hands said, "Omg this is not bavarian!"

You crack me up!

This sucks. Waiting two weeks does not sound kosher. I had something similar happen to me. Do yourself a favor and do whatever you need to do to ressolve it as soon as possible. Nobody needs this kind of drama. Since you are certain that there might have been a mixup on your part I agree that some sort of refund is in order. 50% sounds overly generous but consider it a contribution towards mental health maintenance. Hopefully you can ammend your contract to further protect yourself from situations like this in the future.

angelcakes5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #26 of 39

Something does sound fishy. I had a deal where I met with the bride and her mother. Everything was all set, price wise get a call right before payment is due and mother of bride wants to cancel cake becasue she can get a better deal. The bride didnt even know that she did this and was pretty upset. I would make sure the bride knows and I would call her personally. I know I have changed my policy I dont deal with any momzillas!!!

apetricek Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #27 of 39

I agree with the others I think it is fishy....let me tell you if I got the wrong wedding cake, I would be on the phone the next day...probably went broke with bridey baby and now is try to get something back, if they ate the cake, and didn't call right away I would question it!!!!!. I would do what the others suggested tell them you have the 72 hour "complaint policy" and offer them some kind of gift certificate, or anniversary cake. It just seems weird to me obviously the bride and groom weren't that upset by it, or I am sure you would have heard from them. If it was a mistake seems like an honest one, and if you feel guilty I would do the gift certificate or the ann. cake, but PLEASE don't give them any money back. You did your job, and if it was that much of an issue I assure you that you would have know right away! Good luck to you p.s. did you try and contact her, or who ever besides him was on your contract?

MaisieBake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:49pm
post #28 of 39

Who was the customer-- bride and groom or bride's parents?

trixe371 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #29 of 39

If I were you I would contact the bride and just inquire about how did she like her cake and see what she says, she may have been happy with the cake . if she was the one who placed the order i would think that she would have called to complain, instead of her father unless he placed the order then I could see him complaining. If in fact the cake filling was wrong offer maybe 10-15% back plus a free ten inch aniversary cake. icon_smile.gif

arosstx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:17pm
post #30 of 39

I would not refund more than 25%. And I would offer credit towards a future cake, as well as letting them know (maybe add to your contract) that 72 hour notice is required for any 'issues' - good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%