Michele Foster's Fondant

Decorating By scotiascrapper Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 2:48am by alanahodgson

scotiascrapper Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to try fondant for the first time this weekend and I'm going to try making MFF. Are there any pointers I should be aware of?? And how do I store it?? I plan on making it the day before I do the cake....I'm just playing around to try to get used to it...I'm making myself a birthday cake LOL

Also, I have an old MM with 2 beaters so I will be doing it by hand!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

8 replies
JoAnnB Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 9

It isn't difficult to make by hand, although a good heavy wooden spoon can be very useful in the beginning.

For either recipe, hold back a good portion of the sugar. Each recipe can require less (or more) powdered sugar to reach the point of being 'not sticky'. If you add too much sugar, the fondant will be dry and cracking.

When it is mixed, rub the exterior of the ball with a bit of shortening and wrap it very well. I use two layers of plastic, one foil, and store it in airtight container. If it dries out on the exterior, you usually cannot recover it. (in an emergency, you can peel off the outside and use the inner fondant)

Remember, hot marshmallows can burn- don't ask how I know icon_cry.gif

plbennett_8 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:21am
post #3 of 9

Hi icon_smile.gif

With Michele Foster's Fondant (MFF), just follow the recipe. If you want to color the entire batch then do that in the liquid before you add the powdered sugar. You may get a workout making it totally by hand. It will seem REALLY soft, that is OK!!! icon_smile.gif Once you wrap it in the oil coated plastic wrap, and let it sit AT LEAST 24 hours, it will be ready to go. icon_smile.gif When you start to work it to put it on your cake, you will need to knead it until it is smooth. And

Happy Birthday! birthday.gif

alanahodgson Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #4 of 9

If you're not coloring the whole batch with the method suggested above, but kneading in coloring, I suggest doing that a day ahead also. If that's the case, make your fondant two days ahead-let it rest one day, color it the next, and finally on the following day cover your cake with it. Kneading the color in on the day of use will make it more difficult to handle and may cause air bubbles to develop.

plbennett_8 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

Kneading the color in on the day of use will make it more difficult to handle and may cause air bubbles to develop.

You know...I hadn't realized that until you wrote it...lol icon_razz.gif I "knew" it, but hadn't consciously thought of it...if that makes sense...lol It's always better a few days later...

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

scotiascrapper Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #6 of 9

Thanks ladies! This will be my first time using fondant and I can't wait!! I suppose if I wanted to flavor the fondant with some Lorann oil I would just add a couple of drops while making it? Do you recommend flavoring it?

alanahodgson Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 9

Many people like lorann oils. I've only tried a couple of flavors and found them pretty artificial tasting in fondant. I use creme bouqet in place of vanilla when I make this recipe.

scotiascrapper Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

Does anyone have any other suggestions for flavoring? I'm in a small town on the east coast of Canada and I'm sure I can't get creme bouqet here.....my only option for flavoring would be WM, Ms or Bulk Barn.....

alanahodgson Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #9 of 9

Vanilla would be fine, as the recipe alls for.

If you do want to flavor it beyond vanilla, I would stick with extracts you can get at the grocery store if that's what's available. I've used lemon and that tastes great -but doesn't go with everything. I bet orange would be really good! My local grocery store also sells strawberry and raspberry extracts. You could do mint or....what else is out there??? Yeah, I say stick with vanilla or the extracts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%