Stove Broken - Need To Vent!!!!!!!!

Decorating By twooten173 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm by cindww

twooten173 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 11

Ok I'm on vacation last week and I can't bake anything because we only have a toaster oven in the condo. I survive somehow. icon_biggrin.gif I get home whip up some cookies and go to put them in the oven. The oven is cold after 10 minutes of preheating - WHAT?! icon_eek.gif I took oven apart, vacuumed out all the stuff that falls to the bottom - no go. icon_cry.gif

Now I need a drink. Go to fridge hit ice lever - nothing! icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_eek.gif Yep both stove and fridge are broken and I have cake orders due today for a restaraunt and no one can get me a stove today. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I must've been horrible in my former life.

10 replies
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 11

Is your stove electric (or have an electric ignitor)? Are your stove and fridge on the same breaker/fuse? Could that be tripped? Just seemed odd for them both to break at once. Did you check your breaker/fuse box? Slips some peoples minds that it could be something like that. I don't know. Just trying to help. Sorry you are having a rough day!

twooten173 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 11

They are both "working" in that there is electricity to both of them. My stove is gas with electronic ignition. The freezer part of the fridge is busted. The oven portion of the range won't come on.

Thanks for letting me vent!

KASCARLETT Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 11

Oh my gosh! Flashbacks!!! lol

Last year when I went on vacation, just my son and I, my husband called and told me that our brand new stove had just went out. I had 2 wedding cakes to do the weekend after I got back from vacation too, so of course I went balistic!! lol He called the appliance store (it was still under warranty with them -it was that new) and told them the situation. Of course it had to be this same exact week after the 4th of July! lol When I got home, I called the store too and very nicely told them my sob story and I HAD to have my stove or I was going to come in their home to use their stove! Needless to say - I was saved! lol

So, I know how you feel! I hope you find out what the problem is!!

shellzey Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 11

we went shopping for a new stove/oven this weekend. my husband insisted on tearing out the old one first (slide in) before we got the new one. needless to say he went to pick up the new one and it won't be delivered until THURSDAY. so i have no oven or stove all week. i have a cake and 40 cupcakes for this weekend.

atleast i get out of cooking dinner this week =)

jamhays Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 11

This must be "oven season". My husb finally drug me, kicking & screaming to the store to select a new oven. Problem is, we are getting a slide in oven & the current one is a drop-in. So the new oven is parked in our garage, while he figures out how to gut my kitchen cabinet to make the new oven fit. icon_confused.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:36am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

This must be "oven season". My husb finally drug me, kicking & screaming to the store to select a new oven. Problem is, we are getting a slide in oven & the current one is a drop-in. So the new oven is parked in our garage, while he figures out how to gut my kitchen cabinet to make the new oven fit. icon_confused.gif

You just need one of those little electric hand saws. I had to deal with this when we moved in. House had an ancient Jenn-Aire drop in (electric with two burners and the other side was a griddle that dripped into a canning jar underneath and the oven was a third of the size of a normal oven! LOL!). Believe me, about four cuts and it was outta there along with the cupboard underneath. icon_smile.gif

funcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #8 of 11

My oven decided to roll over and die when I was baking my daughter's wedding cake! My husband is a volunteer firefighter and fortunately I was able to use the Viking oven at the firehouse. One of the drawbacks was the firefighters who were at the station complained of the unfairness of creating delicious aromas without samples to eat!
When I told people that my oven broke I was surprised by the number of coworkers and neighbors who offered the use of their ovens for my baking.
Maybe you could find an available oven at the local church, fire station or at a neighbors house until you get yours fixed or replaced?

twooten173 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:42am
post #9 of 11

Funny thing about this is I've been saving the "profits" to buy a new stove. When we were away I said I was going to order the one I wanted when I got home. It takes 2-3 weeks for it to get here. I jinxed myself.

I was at the scratch and dent store earlier today and they had a DCS six burner, w/griddle, and 2 ovens on the floor for 5 grand. Man was I drooling over that for like an hour. It's still at the store. I can go pick up a reasonable oven tomorrow.

I should count myself lucky that I don't have a big thing like a wedding this weekend.

arwa Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:21am
post #10 of 11

Oh thnk god im not the only one! I got a new oven this week n the load was too much so the electricity tripped.... i too had an order on the same day n finally went to my neighbours house to bake! quite embarassing.....

cindww Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #11 of 11

How weird! My oven died 3 weeks ago, ordered a new one and it was delivered yesterday. The installation guy was "right behind" the delivery guys ( according to them). Guess what? The guy never showed up. The oven is sitting in the middle of my kitchen. And I too have a cake due for Friday morning *and* my daughter's first birthday party on Saturday.

The really funny part is that when they delivered it, the back of it was facing me in the kitchen and they handed me the paperwork to sign for it. I said, "Let me just get a look at it and make sure its what I ordered"..(I didn't actually ever see the stove, its a weird size so I ordered the only they could order, a Maytag.) I walk around the front of the stove and its identical to the only they are removing that is at least 12 years old. Is that weird or what that a company makes the same exact stove for that long??

Anyway,hope you all get your stoves soon!

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%