How Do I Get The Number "1" To Stand Up On The Top

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm by PinkZiab

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 7

I'm going to be making a 1st birthday cake & just love all the cakes with the number 1 standing straight up on the top tier - how do you do that?

I was thinking maybe with a toothpick inserted in the bottom & then into the cake, but some of these numbers look so thin!

I was planning on using gumpaste to do it...

Thanks for any help!

6 replies
tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 7

Ahhh we must be linked mentally....lol I just asked that too!!! I have seen on here that people used white chocolate and a popsicle stick but I asked if there were any other ways...lol. I'll have to check your post as well. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 7

I have done a cake with letters standing up and what I did was to form the letters out of gumpaste and stick the toothpicks in the bottom. After they dried I just stuck them into the cake. Easy as cake icon_razz.gif

Good luck!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

i use sucker stcisk on the back stuck with royal or choc

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:35am
post #5 of 7

Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

jess85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess85 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 7

with kids cakes especially, whatever you put inside the cake should be edible. i would suggest you use spaghetti instead of toothpicks. same effects/no risk of the kids (or anyone else) ingesting wood etc

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 7

For a thin one I use wires, for a thick one I use skewers. Of course I insert it into the number while the gumpaste or fondant is still well and the just slide into the cake Just make sure it's long enough to keep it stable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%