No More Domed Cakes! No More Levelling! No More Cake Waste!

Baking By jesselyn Updated 26 Apr 2009 , 12:28am by Peridot

jesselyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesselyn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 57

I had heard a long time ago that you could make your own bake even strips by wrapping wet paper towel in tin foil and wrapping around the outside of your cake pan, but I didn't think it would work. I am in the midst of making a 2-layer 11 x 15 chocolate cake for my sons christening and so I thought I would give it a try. OMG!!! It really worked!!! I have never had such a level cake!!! I am floored! I don't even need to level it at all!! Just thought I would mention it to others that may not know! All you do is moisten paper towels (I used the heavy Scott paper towels but I don't think it matters) and then fold them into a 1 1/2" strip. Then wrap it up in heavy duty tin foil (again, I don't know that it has to be heavy duty, but that is what I used) Then I just wrapped them around the outside of my cake pan and folded the top of the foil just around the top of my pan to secure it. No pins needed!!! AMAZING!!!

56 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 57

GREAT!! Thanks for sharing. I will have to give it a try.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #3 of 57

I am definately going to try that. I know my mom used to use bath towels ripped into strips, wet down and then pinned on the pans.

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 57

Thank you so much for sharing icon_smile.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #5 of 57

WOW Thanks that will work on all those odd shaped cake pans .

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:48am
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaranoel

I am definately going to try that. I know my mom used to use bath towels ripped into strips, wet down and then pinned on the pans.

This is what I've done in the past, but I've gotten lazy lately. icon_redface.gif Need to try this with the foil & paper towels! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #7 of 57

Thanks for sharing, got a couple of cakes for this weekend and am definately going to give it a try

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:44am
post #8 of 57

Gla dit worked for you. I would be a tad leery of putting paper towels in the oven. I know they were wet, and you wrapped them. I just use wet hand towels.

Mike

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:52am
post #9 of 57

Hmmmmm, interesting.

I have never used real bake even strips, just the wet towel strips affixed with safety pins. It works so well for my rounds, but not so well for my 13x9 - the strips just wanted to sag and fall off. I'll have to try this because it seems that the foil would help it all stand up and stay put!

Thanks!
Stacy

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:59am
post #10 of 57

I'm puzzled now, because I thought it was the moist heat that helped the cake bake more level, but when you wrap the towels in foil, you no longer have the moisture, right?

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:01am
post #11 of 57

I've used wet towels and I've used Wilton strips. They both work well. thumbs_up.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:09am
post #12 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I'm puzzled now, because I thought it was the moist heat that helped the cake bake more level, but when you wrap the towels in foil, you no longer have the moisture, right?

Yeah right sort of icon_biggrin.gif, What the wet towels do is delay the hot of the oven from reaching the cake. This way the center cooks first, instead of last. The foil is doing the same thing, but it is getting hotter than a wet towel would be getting. Your still deflecting the heat somewhat.

Mike

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:18am
post #13 of 57

The bake even strips work very well. I also place one or two greased and floured flower nails upside down and evenly spaced in the pan if I'm baking a very large amount of batter.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:23am
post #14 of 57

When doing a sheet size, 9x13" for example, when I remove the cake from the oven I place a folded clean kitchen towel over the cake and gently press down to remove the hump. So far it has worked well.

I will try this trick on rounds though....when I press the steam out of them I'm afraid I'll gum up the body of the cake, since they are less thick as a sheet cake.

Thanks for the tip!!!

mgdsue02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdsue02 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #15 of 57

I have often had trouble pinning the Wilton strips to my pans and then having them stay. I am going to have to try the foil method! Thanks for sharing the tip. icon_smile.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #16 of 57

I havent had much luck with the bake-even strips. Still get a dome. Cant wait to try this!

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:43am
post #17 of 57

Oooh, good to know. I will have to try this on my sheet cakes. I feel like I'm always wasting so much cake through leveling. Thanks for the tip!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:46am
post #18 of 57

Coooool. I wonder - when using the damp towels (fabric, not paper), would it work to use the metal clasp thingies used for ace bandages?

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:03pm
post #19 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamlin

Coooool. I wonder - when using the damp towels (fabric, not paper), would it work to use the metal clasp thingies used for ace bandages?

That's worth a try! I never thought of those! I hate messing with those pins.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:40pm
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamlin

Those would probably work! I have a few spare metal clasps around here somewhere. Those would probably work on the baking strips too. As I recall the metal teeth on those clasps are pretty sharp and should be able to grab onto a baking strip.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 57

i must try wrapping the wet paper towels around my pans and see how it works!

great tip!

oh...when using the wet strips, do you bake at your regular temperature or do you lower it?

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:44pm
post #22 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdsue02

I have often had trouble pinning the Wilton strips to my pans and then having them stay. I am going to have to try the foil method! Thanks for sharing the tip. icon_smile.gif

I have the same problem with the Wilton Strips. I'll have to try the paper towel/foil method next time. Thanks for sharing.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #23 of 57

That is so wonderful to know.. I have been using the strips and it works fine ,, but I will definitely try this.. thank you very much for posting and sharing this very useful information. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #24 of 57

I have used this recently for smaller pans that the bake even strips were too large for...it does work like a charm!

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #25 of 57

I was just having the dome problem yesterday with a 9x13. This is a timely post for me. thanks!

trixe371 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixe371 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #26 of 57

I'm going to try the paper towel/foil method because my family is tired of all the extra cake

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #27 of 57

When you use wet towel strips are they soaking wet or just damp?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 6:07am
post #28 of 57

hmmm...i've never heard of this. i just might give it a try.
thanks for sharing! thumbs_up.gif

wildnutcase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildnutcase Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:15am
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahuvas

When you use wet towel strips are they soaking wet or just damp?

You want them to be wet, but not soaking...wring them out so that they are not dripping.

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #30 of 57

Thanks for the tip. I have 2 11X15 cakes to do this week.... I am definitely going to try this.

Thanks again! I just love this site!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%