Will Anyone Else Be Raising Prices Soon?

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 11:25am by mommicakes

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

As soon as I have time, (heh--like THAT day is ever going to get here) I need to sit down with some receipts and re-figure my costs for everything and see where I'm at for per serving prices.

Even for our family groceries, I can't get out of the store without spending $150-250 at a time any more. It's also why we have a 5200 sq foot veg garden that I live in when I'm not here.

Have you found you've had to raise prices yet, and by how much? Just curious.

8 replies
FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

I did.. I raised it $0.50/serving across the board. With flour almost doubling in price and butter and eggs following suit, there was no way I could stay the same. I also had to nix free delivery within 20 miles.

poshcakedesigns Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 9

I raised mine .75 across the board back in May. There was just no way around it and I had to modify my delivery to. I use to give free delivery up to 10 miles from my zip but not anymore with gas like it is I have to charge everyone now.

tygre Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 9

I just raised prices too, had to, or I couldn't do cakes or cookies anymore. Went from $1.75 basic buttercream to $2.25, and some of the extras went up $.25/serving, and my cookies all went up $1.00 more a dozen.

Chef_Stef Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 9

You guys are right, and sure enough, I got up early this morning and did some work with my matrix and had to raise everything 50 cents across the board, plus change some delivery areas and prices. All my support system expenses have gone up, shipping has gone up, and my flour, butter, and eggs have gone up (but not milk, sugar, or cream, go figure).

Glad I checked, and I'm now $1 more per serving than last year, but basically same hourly wage, wow.

yankeegal Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 9

I am raising mine as well...It's not just the ingredients costs rising so rapidly-its the gas to turn on the oven, running the AC so the cookies don't melt in this dreadful humidity, etc... I am on vacation soon, so I will use that time to make the adjustments.

indydebi Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 9

Eff 6-1-08, I did a 20% increase on the catering side, but am able to keep the cakes at $3/serving. I'll probably do twice-a-year price increases instead of once annually, to avoid some sticker shock increases. (The price of chicken is KILLING me!)

wgoat5 Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

Debbi I just heard hamburger was going to be even higher then chicken.. in fact we have been eating more chicken ... icon_sad.gif (DH isn't real thrilled, he likes lots of grease LOL)

We also have about 1/2 acre of green beans, 30 tomato plants, squash plants, onions, fennel, potatos, corn, green peppers , banana peppers and cabbage...

I have increased my pricing by 20 % also .. no free delivery and I get all of my equipment back.

mommicakes Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:25am
post #9 of 9

I just upped my per serving price to $3.00 for now I am keeping my delivery charges the same but we will see for how long. DH & I have just invested in chickens for home use, need to figure out now for the fall and winter, might have to plug in that (other) extra freezer & buy the 1/2 beef now before prices fly out of control AGAIN! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%