Mmf Zebra Stripes...

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm by CocoaBlondie

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 13

I am doing a cake on Friday with mmf zebra stripes. They are going to be on a round cake. If I make them on Tuesday, they will be dry on Friday and I won't be able to bend them like I need to without breaking them. Can I put the stripes (already cut into shape) in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable when I put them on the cake Friday? Will they keep their shape? I am trying to get as much done today as possible. Thanks.

12 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 13

Air is what will dry them out. I think I would wrap them in plastic wrap and them put in a ziplock or airtight plastic bowl. You can also freeze them.

turtle3264 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for your reply. If they do dry out, is there any way to make them softer and still keep their shape?

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 13

in my past if they have dried out I have had to throw it out...

But I don't think I would freeze them...I have alway had the problem of it getting moisture on them and/or the color changing. So I think your best bet would be take a flat baking sheet (without sides) layer with plastic wrap place the MMF strips on it then cover with more plastic wrap and continue to wrap until it looks as there is no way air can get to the MMF. That should keep them nice and soft until you are ready to use them.

HTH.

Autumn

turtle3264 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks, I will try the plastic wrap.

terri76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, I've got a question. I never have done a cake completely covered in MMF, only "accessories" icon_biggrin.gif like polka dots and little things like that.

When you make a zebra stripe or anything like that, do you roll the black and white together then lay that on the cake or do you cover it with the white then put the stripes on? If you cover then put on the stripes, then how do you get the stripes not to be raised? I've seen these cakes done and it looks like the stripes are flush with the white and not raised.

Am I making any sense what-so-ever? icon_redface.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 13

turtle- after you cut the stripes, dry them on a round pan.

terri- roll the black fondant really thin and put the stripes on the cake. you can definitely cover the whole cake with mmf, if you do i spose you could roll out a sheet of white fondant a little thicker than you'll need and then put strips of black on top of it and roll it to the thickness you need.

HTH

terri76 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 13

oooohhhhh...

Thanks a bunch!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 13

you're welcome! icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:24am
post #10 of 13

I too always wondered about how I saw cakes covered in fondant w/ all different color strips & designs in them & they are flush & smooth. Is this the only method on how you can acheive that look?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri76 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:33am
post #12 of 13

oooooo...thanks for thread!!! thumbs_up.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:49pm
post #13 of 13

I read the thread as well, thanks for your help. Am I just looney icon_confused.gif because I still can't understand how to do this. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%