Icing A Cake To Be Shipped?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm by Kay_NL

Kay_NL Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 10

Hi CC members,

I would like to send my brother a birthday cake for his 23rd birthday. He has no family close by and loves his cake. icon_smile.gif I read all about the cake shipping and how to pack them.

So my question is can I use anything to decorate it? I know fondant would likely hold up better in the mail, but I would really like to use ganache. I need to consider that it will take about 3 days to get there and won't be refrigerated...

Any advice or opinions??

Thanks,
Katherine

9 replies
MaisieBake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 10

No refrigeration, ganache, summer? Gooey mess at best.

Kay_NL Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 10

So would fondant work? I'm just looking for suggestions here...

ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 10

I think if you wanna do ganache, maybe just use it for filling, and maybe you can use fed-ex and overnight it so it doesn't sit in a hot warehouse for 3 days?

beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 10

I would definitely overnight it. Less time it will be bumped around/sitting in a warehouse. Be prepared to spend about $50 US for shipping.

Oh and you could freeze it too.

ziggytarheel Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 10

No matter what you make, I highly recommend you get some preliminary rate information before you begin. What carrier do you plan to use?

If he lives far from an airport, there could be issues with overnight with the USPS, for example. I was at the post office yesterday late afternoon, and heard a woman, quite upset, because the post office does not overnight to that particular address.

Kay_NL Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:46am
post #7 of 10

I'm in Canada and I think the fastest it will possibly get to him is by Canada Post/Purolater (he lives in a remote community with train access only) in 2-3 business days... My mom shipped him an un-iced cake last year via regular post and it took 5 days and they still ate it.

I don't think he would really care about the state of it, he would still eat it, but I'd like something that will arrive in one piece!! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your input!

Tug Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:12am
post #8 of 10

Ship the cake frozen in dry ice. Dry ice is expensive but it should do the trick.

Good luck.

vickymacd Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:36am
post #9 of 10

I know people on here do this all the time.
I attempted this last year and here is my story....

I refrigerated it till the very last moment of packing. I made a cake that had the pieroettes all around figuring it would be more stable than just BC. Then tied a ribbon around it more for stability. Added cake balls to the top instead of just BC again.

Packed it in a large box filled with layers of bubblepop plastic packing material. Then in a smaller box, I put more bubblewrap and then in the cake which I placed in a large ice cream bucket that was the perfect size. Sealed this box and more bubblewrap!
Do NOT go with UPS as they themselves told me it would be bounced around. I sent it through regular mail overnight. Cost me about $65.

Yes, my Mom got it the next day, but when she sent me a picture of it, it was still all slanted and not great looking.

She loved it and it was the thought which will be your case as well. I won't ever do it again, but it definately was worth the thought for my Mom! I still hear from people saying how they couldn't believe I shipped a cake for my Mom's b'day to her!

So, good luck if you do this. Oh, by the way, I shipped it from Michigan to Arizona.

Kay_NL Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 10

I'm going to have to not do it, I was talking to my mom who sent him cookies via "courier" and he got them 2 weeks later...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%