Wilton's Gel/fondant Question

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm by tonedna

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 19

I have made fondant covered cakes many times but I have never made any using the wilton's gel I always use butter cream. My question is when I use the butter cream Iâm always told to let the butter cream crust a little before placing the fondant on your cake.What about the gel do I let it sit before puting the fondant on are do I need to get it on my cake asap?

Thank You in advance for any responds.

Molly2

18 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 19

Do you mean piping gel?

I've never done it. Should work as they use strained apricot jelly in England... The key is getting whatever medium you use under fondant as smooth as possible.

PS - You don't need a crusting BC for fondant, it just has to be smooth or the bumps will show through.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 19

I wouldnt use the gel..tends to melt the fondant..

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 19

LOL I'd listen to Edna - take a look at her gallery - her work is amazing!! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 19

lmao beachcakes...I got a good laugh..thanks!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 19

I had never heard that the gel melts the fondant thanks for letting me know I'll stick with the butter cream.

Molly2

tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 19

I tried it once...I didnt even used lots..but my fondant was not smooth..It had a bubble. So i tried to poke it and wouldnt go away..
Finally I took a pin to poke it and all this liquid came out of it..It was the last time i did that
Edna

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 19

this is off the subject, but eEna- thank you soooo much for your very detailed calla lily tutorials! you made me not so scared to try sugar flowers, and I just bought all the supplies!

Molly2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 19

I Love Love her tutorials I'm a Fan and Thank you again for the info on the gel

Molly thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks so much you guys, that's so sweet!..I am planing to do a few more but I am taking a small vacation.
By the way...never be scared of sugar!!!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 19

Tonedna, you're right.....Never be afraid of sugar! I was nervous and scared to try something new, but since you made that comment, I snapped out of it. It's only sugar. Thanks

tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:31pm
post #12 of 19

lol...you should see how many students have that fear...I always tell them that!...Is only sugar..It can be fix!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 19

Edna

You should have a T. V. show and the title should be It's only sugar..It can be fix!.. I like that Pretty Cool!

Molly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:11am
post #14 of 19

lol...that would be funny..I just gotta learn to speak a looooooooootttt better on camera..I think I might choke..That's cool name..lol
How about Sugar fix! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Molly2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:21am
post #15 of 19

Your funny Edna LOL You speak just fine
Molly icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #16 of 19

I guess for some of us looked at it, as if it were the end if something went wrong! Lol! But you're right....it can and will be fixed, that is.....if you don't want an unhappy customer! I've just got to get in my mind, that even people that does great work like you, have messed up in the past and it's a learning experience. You're great Tonedna! Thanks for the word of encouragement!
icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:57am
post #17 of 19

One mistake many make using the piping gel is that they use too much, and that will cause the fondant to melt. You have to use it very very sparingly; you only want it to be "tacky" enough to hold the fondant to the cake, and most of that should be around the bottom in about a 1" band.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:23am
post #18 of 19

I would stick with the buttercream for flavor as well as the nice cushion effect the buttercream has under the fondant.

tonedna Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsake

One mistake many make using the piping gel is that they use too much, and that will cause the fondant to melt. You have to use it very very sparingly; you only want it to be "tacky" enough to hold the fondant to the cake, and most of that should be around the bottom in about a 1" band.

Even with very little...the chances get high to melt

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%