Cookie Dummies???

Baking By littlecake Updated 21 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm by toleshed

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 19

is there a recipe for sugar cookies that will not mold etc?

i wanna add some "cookie dummies" to my shop.

when i worked at cookie bouquet in the 90's....it seems like i remember, that the bouquets lasted forever, like my son got a free one for his girlfriend , cause he took a day off work on valentines day to help them deliver, (of course they paid him too), and she never did eat it...it lasted a long time.

but i don't wanna take the chance of getting everything just right to have them mold on me.

18 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 19

This is a completely un-educated guess!

But, could you shellack( I'm certain that's not the right spelling) the cookies? It would be clear, but might make them shine as well. You might not want them to shine though.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 19

Sugar cookies with royal shouldn't mold. No special recipe necessary.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 19

People have shellacked my cookies, with apparently good success. I even read an article about spraying varnish on gingerbread to help preserve it, so it should work with cookies. You could also make the cookies out of salt dough (remember making ornaments in grade school out of the stuff?) I would think you could then ice the cookies with royal.

littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 19

thanx guys...i hope i can do all this new stuff...i bought over 100 cookie cutters today....

i just felt like i need something new....they look so cute on cakes.

you guys all like the NFSC recipe?

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #6 of 19

Have you tried using the christmas cookie recipe. I think it uses salt instead of sugar.

I use the NFSC all the time. I love it.

lardbutt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:59am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

thanx guys...i hope i can do all this new stuff...i bought over 100 cookie cutters today....

i just felt like i need something new....they look so cute on cakes.

you guys all like the NFSC recipe?

I made cookies for the first time last week and used the NFSC. Maybe I'm spoiled with chocolate chip cookies, but I didn't like the way they tasted. They were delightful to make and work with, loves that part!

However, my family liked the way they tasted.

lardbutt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:02am
post #8 of 19

Hey littlecake, where did you end up buying your cookie cutters?

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #9 of 19

I used salt dough for some cookie dummies.

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:18am
post #10 of 19

i made a few for a display and used styrofoam than used fondant w gumtex and royal icing to decorate them up..i used my ocookie cutters to cut thru the styrofoam but i also got a styro cut for some of the harder cutters, i pressed them just enough to imprint the styrofoam than went back with the cutter to make smoother edges...hth

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #11 of 19

I don't like the NFSC recipe. I much prefer Penny's recipe. It has heavy cream in it and the texture is so much better.

I made both side by side with the same exact amount of flavoring and Penny's won with everyone who tried them.

I have never had them mold on me.. and I've found some here and there (kids do love to forget they put that cookie down a month ago icon_lol.gif ) and they were dried out.. but never moldy.

HTH's a little. icon_smile.gif

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:39pm
post #12 of 19

jkalman..which is the Penny recipe??? Is it on this site???I would like to give it a try..

littlecake Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Hey littlecake, where did you end up buying your cookie cutters?

since i'm a cookie newbie, i just bought about every one they had a obby lobby when i went in to get a few other things, i was surprised they had so many, i know they aren't a good quality, but i figgered they would be good to practice with.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 19

i have cookies from 6 years ago that were made from NFSC and royal and they look the exact same as the day i made them. of course, i have them in a dry, cool area...

Afterezra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afterezra Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 19

My friend just found a cookie in her china cabinet that was from a birthday party 8-9 years ago. It looked exactly the same. So much so that she had to yank it away from her grandson who was getting ready to take a bite! I'm hoping to see the picture of what an eight year old cookie looks like!

drgrl21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgrl21 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #16 of 19

what is nfs?anyone?

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 19

NFSC means No Fail Sugar Cookie. It is a recipe that many people on here use

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 8:21pm
post #18 of 19

I also use Penny's recipe. They are very similar, but I just like Penny's better. I believe I got the reicpe from a website that was like an article on her (it was a long time ago). I believe you might be able to google it.

I also have cookies from years ago, stored in the garage, so they should last just fine.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #19 of 19

So who is Penny?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%