Cake Batter / Pan Question - Please Help

Decorating By rox00 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm by rox00

rox00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there.. I just began dabbling in cake decorating earlier this year. My Wilton instructor suggested this site - so glad she did - You are all awesome - I can't stay off. icon_biggrin.gif

Up until now all my cakes have been for practice and then I took them to work. This weekend I'm making my 1st official cake, for our family picnic.

I am using my new Hexogon pan set. Making a 2 layer 12in Orange cake and then 2 layer 9in Red Velvet cake.
Since there is only 1 pan of each size the problem is what to do with the cake batter while the 1st cake is baking?
Can I just refridgerate it for the 1 hour that it will take for the 1st cake to bake & cool?
If not any suggestions how to do this?
I really am trying to avoid having to make 2 separate batches of each cake flavor.

Thanks so much

5 replies
nicole379 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

I have this same question! I'm glad you asked it. Hopefully we will get a response icon_smile.gif

I've often wondered if I'm just going to have to save and buy duplicates of each pan I have so I can bake them 2 at a time. Right now I'm leaving it out on the counter with a damp towel over the bowl in between baking times and the second layer always comes out more domed or rounded than the first fresh one that goes in.

Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 6

i've even refrigerated batter over night -- like 24hrs -- and it still worked just fine.

poshcakedesigns Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 6

I put mine in the frig covered in saran wrap. When the 1st cake has about 15 minutes left in baking I take it from the frig to bring it back to room temp. I've never had any problems. I always worry about food posion so I never leave mine sitting out for an hour or so and since I bake at a low temp it takes my cakes almost an hour to cook if not longer.

tenleysmommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 6

I refridgerate all the time and never have a problem!Good Luck with your first cake and we welcome both of you!I hope you are ready to give up all your free time for us icon_lol.gif

rox00 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much. I'll refridgerate it until about 15 minutes before I'm ready to bake. icon_cool.gif

Keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out ok. If it does I'll post pictures. I'm doing the Hexagon cake w/family pictures on the sides (I think its called a memory cake)

Quote by @%username% on %date%