Is It Cheating If...

Decorating By mandygirlxoxo Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 11:25pm by cvigil

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 52

is it cheating if you use box cakes for wedding cakes?

51 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:02am
post #2 of 52

Do you mean using boxed cake mix when making the cake?

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:03am
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Do you mean using boxed cake mix when making the cake?

yea

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:06am
post #4 of 52

NO

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #5 of 52

Why not save yourself a little trouble.I prepare the mix as it says on the box then I add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 extra egg, and a 3 oz. box of pudding mix that is the same flavor as the cake. Vanilla pudding for white, chocolate for chocolate, etc. They are really good. I learned that simple trick from a bakery owner that my instructor knows.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:16am
post #6 of 52

I think you will be getting a slew of people saying most bakeries use mixes so of course it's not cheating. I personally use both Dr'd mixes and totally non-cake box recipes, depending upon the type of cake.

As far as I am concerned, when I make a delicious and moist cake that everyone loves, whether or not a cake mix was used is irrelevent. icon_smile.gif

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:23am
post #7 of 52

Amen!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 52

Yup! What CakeDiva said!!! thumbs_up.gif

cerobs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cerobs Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 52

You could use this reciepes. White almond sour cream.
http://www.recipezaar.com/69630

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

Why not save yourself a little trouble.I prepare the mix as it says on the box then I add 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 extra egg, and a 3 oz. box of pudding mix that is the same flavor as the cake. Vanilla pudding for white, chocolate for chocolate, etc. They are really good. I learned that simple trick from a bakery owner that my instructor knows.

ME TOO! Try using white cake mix with WHITE CHOCOLATE pudding mix and white chocolate icing! YUM-MY!

BUT, be very careful, don't use cake mixes with pudding already added. It gets sticky and has a gooey layer that forms. HMMMMM, wonder how I would know that? LOL

Beth in KY

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:50pm
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandygirlxoxo

is it cheating if you use box cakes for wedding cakes?

No.

Is it "cheating" to use a mold to make cake decorations instead of making them "from scratch"?

Is it "cheating" to use the various presses for words, scrolls, dot patterns, etc., instead of doing them "by hand"?

Is it cheating to buy the cake drums instead of wrapping your own foam boards or cardboards to make the drums "from scratch"?

Scratch or mix, neither way is right or wrong ... it lies in what your talent is. Baking a good tasting cake from scratch takes a very high level of talent to get it right all the time, and those folks have my admiration.

To use the word "cheating" implies something underhanded and almost illegal to do .... THAT'S that part that bothers ME.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 52

i always use box mixes... but never the ingredients or instructions on the box. here's the recipe i use (and i juse the cake mixes w/pudding added and have never had a gummy issue)

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 box pudding mix (4 serving size - same or complimentary flavor to cake mix)
1 c. sour cream
1/2 cup water or milk
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

i use homemade pan release, i bake all my cakes at 325*, use flower nail(s) as heat core and homemade bake even strips. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 52

There was a hot topic around here recently about this issue and probably always will be a hot topic for discussion. But mostly that's what you have to realize, it is a controversial subject.

If you want to dedicate yourself to re-educate the world and eradicate the planet from sucha rock rib discrimination that says scratch cake is dry and mix cake is poo then you are a better caker than I ever will be.

People will say oh just tell all, oh it's ok oh oh oh -oh guess what? This is a controversy whether you want to admit or not. If you are going to run a business you have to be very aware of how you will handle this.

The first time I met this monster and was 'profiled' years ago I had just moved and my mixer was packed. I did a tier cake for a couple hundred people BY HAND. Some person asked me what kind of cake, scratch or mix. That his mom makes the best cake in the world and bladeeeblabla. I was fuming inside.

So just be prepared with how you want to respond to people who want to compare you and pigeon hole you one way or the other. You can declare yourself one way, the other or the middle and risk alienating some folks. You hold your head up high square your shoulders and can use healthy ephemisms. I mean some folks say "I bake cake mix" and people steadfastly do not believe them so...it's cazy huh?

You of course have to be real with people for legal purposes, but that again has to be filtered through the bs strainer.

Take Care, Cake-Buddy

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #14 of 52

I have to add, I have read all the post before about this very topic and I never added my comments about what is better because to each his own, and I bake from scratch and mostly with box mixes, but I have always felt the need to learn more about baking cakes from scratch, don't get me wrong, I can bake a mean mouth watering bread that begs for a slab of butter right out the oven, and all types at that. But (and this is my opinion only) I feel I can't call myself a proper chef if I can't whip up a from scratch cake, and it come out fantastic everytime. I taught myself how to decorate why not learn more about the science of baking cake? So I am taking a course this year to learm more about pastries and cakes.

But no, it is not cheating, unless you are buying the cake already baked and decorated and say it is your own... wait Duff does that, just kidding I love Duff, just would like to see him decorate more.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #15 of 52

Heres the thing-it matters what your clients like. If the LOVE you box recipes, then use them! You can't argue with what they like better, and lots of people will prefer the boxes over scratch.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #16 of 52

I only bake scratch cakes and I too have taken the time to do my research. My cakes are not dry, they are moist - without a simple syrup and very flavorful. I get endless compliments and raves about how the cake tastes.

But, that is what I prefer. Is it taking a hit to my bottom line - probably. And again, that is what I prefer to offer to my customers.

Bottom line, if the customer is happy whether it be scratch, box, or extended that's what counts.

I've perfected my cake, now I'm working on my decorating. Those of you that have mastered that - my hats off to you. You're talented!!!!

lol,

cakeymom icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 52

DUff decorated plenty as he was building his business.. now he doesn't have to. Wouldn't I love to be in that position.. LOL.

It's not cheating at all, and I am a scratch baker through and through. Just be honest with your customers. If you use mixes be proud of that. If you act like it's something to hide then you will get people wondering why you hide it. I mean if the baker feels like it's something to hide then it MUST be taboo right? icon_confused.gif (said with sarcasm) If you make a mix cake and people love it.. then there really is nothing to hide.

If scratch baking is your passion then of course bake from scratch, but it's not a requirement by a long shot.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

I have to add, I have read all the post before about this very topic and I never added my comments about what is better because to each his own, and I bake from scratch and mostly with box mixes, but I have always felt the need to learn more about baking cakes from scratch, don't get me wrong, I can bake a mean mouth watering bread that begs for a slab of butter right out the oven, and all types at that. But (and this is my opinion only) I feel I can't call myself a proper chef if I can't whip up a from scratch cake, and it come out fantastic everytime. I taught myself how to decorate why not learn more about the science of baking cake? So I am taking a course this year to learm more about pastries and cakes.

But no, it is not cheating, unless you are buying the cake already baked and decorated and say it is your own... wait Duff does that, just kidding I love Duff, just would like to see him decorate more.

Maria, do you use a scale?

Mike

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #19 of 52

All I know is I can't bake a cake from scratch to save my life.
I use dr'd box mixes and have a collection of emails, cards, letters and voicemails telling me how good, moist, delicious, wonderful etc. the cake was.
So if my cusomers like them then I see no reason to change.
The weird thing is I can make almost anything else from scratch, and I do, pancakes, waffles, muffins, biquits, pie dough, cookies, cinnamon rolls, bread, you name it I can bake it unless of course its cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:21pm
post #20 of 52

do what floats your boat.

I'm up front w/ using mixes.

of course, I usually get the following reaction:

"Really? Hmmm...couldn't tell. And why don't mine taste that good when I make a mix???"

to which I just grin and say "I've got my secrets"

Kellie1583 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellie1583 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:22pm
post #21 of 52

I prefer box mixes for a reason that no one else has talked about so I'm thinking it may be my imagination. I think the preservatives in the box mix helps the cake keep longer than from scratch. This was just my experience when I played with a scratch recipe. I didn't think the cake stayed tasting good as long as the box mix. Am I crazy or is this true?

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie1583

I prefer box mixes for a reason that no one else has talked about so I'm thinking it may be my imagination. I think the preservatives in the box mix helps the cake keep longer than from scratch. This was just my experience when I played with a scratch recipe. I didn't think the cake stayed tasting good as long as the box mix. Am I crazy or is this true?

I found the same thing to be true when I tried the scratch cake and mine were crumbly so I use doctored cake mixes. I like the taste and the texture much better than my scratch cakes.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:27pm
post #23 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Maria, do you use a scale?

Mike

Yes, but I think I need a new one, I would like a digital one. My scratch cakes come out to scrumbly and hard to carve with out freezing and sometimes my pound cake I think are too dry even though people say they love it, for me it's too dry. I would like to bake a cake that is dense enough for me to carve without freezing.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #24 of 52

I don't think it is cheating at all!I can bake from scratch,but it sure is easier to pop open a box and throw some ingredients in icon_biggrin.gif Do what you want if it tastes good it doesn't matter.Oh,and welcome to CC.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #25 of 52

Just for the record, the controversy flag flies both ways.

Some people gak at scratch cakes.

Some people gak at cake mix cakes.

When encountering a crummy cake both sides will credit the type they hate no matter how it was actually made. "Oh that scratch cake sucks big ones I can taste the eggs." "Oh that's a nasty cake mix I can taste the metal." When in reality both scratch and mix use eggs and are baked in metal pans.

That is the controversy. And it is stupid.

If baking scratch or from a mix is a point per se with the customer then they are owners in the controversary. Proceed with caution. Being honest with people who are deluded may or may not be the best way to handle it.

Proverbs 26
4 Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest he be wise in his own eyes.

You must use your own judgement there's no pat answer.

If someone has a legitimate allergy they say they are allergic to soy and you go from there.

Being proud of your product however you make it has to cut through generations of built in bs as evidenced everywhere this topic comes up. Good luck to you.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #26 of 52

too bad someone didn't just add a link to the million of other threads that discuss the *exact* same thing (whre is Jan when you need her, lol?) ugh...

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #27 of 52

venefica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venefica Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #28 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellie1583

It is true... a little trick of the trade is to add mayonnaises (the good stuff... non of that fat free nonsense) makes scratch cakes super moist and adds in the preservatives necessary to make it last. I have also found that scratch cakes taste the best on day 3... also, sugar is a natural preservative so when I fill my cake and let it sit overnight I put a crumb coating of buttercream on it. Really seals in all the flavors...... quick STAT someone get me a piece of cake icon_biggrin.gif Getting hungry over here. icon_lol.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I think you will be getting a slew of people saying most bakeries use mixes so of course it's not cheating. I personally use both Dr'd mixes and totally non-cake box recipes, depending upon the type of cake.

As far as I am concerned, when I make a delicious and moist cake that everyone loves, whether or not a cake mix was used is irrelevent. icon_smile.gif

I am the same way... I use whatever best suits the type of cake I am making...

I really don't think a bride cares if its a box mix or scratch as long as they love the taste!!

kakelady00009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakelady00009 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #30 of 52

i personally use cake mixes...duncan hines.....i don't add anything to them, the only difference is that i bake at 325.....everyone is amazed that the cake is a mix...they want to know why theirs don't turn out that way! i do make my own buttercream, i have worked on it for years, and it is finally where it needs to be...i really think it helps the cake along!
the only time i change the mix, is when i am making a fresh strawberry cake. or fresh pumpkin etc, and then i am just adding the extras to the mix!
i tell anyone that i can tackle that i use a mix...i am not embarrassed...you know what they say-"if it ain't broke-don't fix it"!

we have 1 privately owned bakery in my town, and she uses a scratch pound cake for all of her orders.....people like it....it's all about personal taste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%