For Those Who Work With Gumpaste Roses.......

Decorating By donnamarie0604 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm by msmeg

donnamarie0604 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:16am
post #1 of 12

How hard are they to learn? I have a wedding cake to do in two weeks and the bride requested that her cake match her mothers original wedding cake. I was given a picture and the whole cake is very fancy, but the techniques used I can duplicate without problem...except for the roses. As hard as I try, I can not do a basic rose (made with buttercream or royal icing). So after watching a video on gumpaste roses on youtube, I decided that I am going to get some gumpaste and practice, practice, practice this weekend. So, am I doomed? Will I be able to get the hang of them? Do you prefer this method over the traditional icing roses? HELP...LOL!!!!!

Now, I will say that I did do a couple of cakes that had roses on them (in my photo gallery), but one of them was a cake I did over 10 years ago and had my mothers help (she was a cake decorator for 25 years) and the other one I had to make them in advance and refridgerate them prior to doing the cake...and I was not happy with the way they turned out. I really want the roses on this wedding cake I am doing to come out topnotch. This wedding could potentially lead me to many new customers!! get the drift...LOL. Thank you all in advance for any feedback and suggestions you can give me. I sure do appreciate it.

Have a great day!!!
Donna icon_biggrin.gif

Attached is the wedding cake I will be duplicating...

11 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:25am
post #2 of 12

Holy cow, first of all, that cake is enormous and looks to have tons and tons of roses. Also, judging from the era, they were probably buttercream or RI rather than gumpaste or fondant. Do you have any kind of PME or Sugarcraft 5 petal cutter (not the Wilton one, it doesn't really work very well.) If so, these can go rather quickly but I hope to God you are charging a fortune because even when they go quick, they take forever. Especially if you are making a bunch.

I love the Youtube demo's and I think they give you a great examply of how to do them.....get some foam and a ball tool and that 5 petal cutter and I think you will definitely get the hang of them. I am just wondering if you really want to do that many handmade gumpaste roses.

all4cake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:30am
post #3 of 12

I prefer the look of the fondant/gumpaste roses(more realistic). I prefer making the royal icing roses(easiest for me to do).

I believe that you should be able to get the hang of making the f/g roses in a short amount of time.

sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 12

I LOVE making GP roses!

This might help:

bashini Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 12

I agree with CakeDiva73. Using the 5 petal cutter is the easiest. Did you see aine2 video on how to make a rose using 5 petal cutter, on the Home Page? It will be really useful to you.

armywifebryan Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 12

I did my soon to be SIL's bridal shower cake. I made around 45 gumpaste roses for it. I had seen the tutorial on youtube, but ended up using this method instead....

It was the first time I had ever worked with gumpaste, let alone the roses! I can not make a BC rose to save my life. I have tried time and time again and I just can not get it. I had to make a few of the gumpaste roses before I really got the hang of it. Once I did though, I just started whipping them out! I pretty much just set up an assembly line. While some were drying I was working on the next batch. I couldn't find the set of cutters that they use in the tutorial, so I just inprovised with what I had on hand. They came out looking GREAT in the end. I look forward to doing another cake with these roses!! If I can find the pics I'll post them. Feel fre to pm me if you have any questions or need more help. HTH

littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 12

have you tried doing the roses on a stick?

if it was me, i think instead of trying to learn a new skill on such short notice (gumpaste)

have you thought of ordering some from

is the cake you are making that huge?

jjkarm Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 12

It will take a while to make all those roses, but you have enough time. I also find it easier to make roses from gum paste than buttercream. I have more control over the details of the rose with gum paste/fondant. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist...) If you use the JEM 5 petal cutter it will probably go a little faster. I put my roses together in a different way then the JEM instructions say though. My roses kept coming out lopsided when I followed their directions. Here's the way I do it:

It just works better for me. Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif. Good Luck!

raquel1 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 12

I love the tutorial that both Sharon and Teresa recomended. It won't take much to get the "hang of it" with this method and with some preparation (getting your formers made) you will be crancking the out in a day. This will also help you for future cakes, it is great to have roses in your arsenal! icon_biggrin.gif

alanahodgson Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 12

I agree with two points-1) that the tutorial from webshots is terrific and makes beautiful flowers and 2) that the flowers on that cake are highly unlikely to be gumpaste. They are probably royal or buttercream , as was suggested earlier.

4laynes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 12

I make mine on a toothpick. I make the teardrop center, stick a toothpick in the bottom, stick it in styrofoam to dry. It's helpful to me to have something to hold on to while attaching the petals AND you have the option of pulling the toothpick out. I prefer to leave it in - that way I'm sure my roses aren't going anywhere! thumbs_up.gif

msmeg Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:52pm
post #12 of 12

life of me can not make buttercream or royal icing roses so I quit trying after learning how to make gumpast roses.

The easiest way to make all tose roses for that cake would be to find a fondant mold. it will go much faster when there are that many.

All you do is push the fondant or candy clay into the mold stick in the freezer for 5 minutes and pop it out of the mold and start over for the next rose..

Do still learn to make the gumpaste rose as they look so real but truthfully I can make pretty nice gumpaste roses but I would do that cake with a mold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%