Has A Funky Mood Impacted Your Cakes?

Business By Tomoore Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:47am by NatalieJohnson

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #1 of 8

I am going thru a lot right now and it has nothing to do with my cakes, everything to do with work and a little to do with home. I feel like the last few cakes that I've done have been..bad. I am looking at some of my pictures of some of my older cakes and I love them. I remember rushing after I finished to take photos of them and get them on my blog. I didn't even bother taking pictures of 5 of my 7 most recent cakes. My clients seem happy, but I just hate to look at the cakes when they're done, but don't feel motivated to try to fix what I don't like.

Can anyone relate?

7 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:45am
post #2 of 8

oh Sure, we all go through that! I have days where if I have to smell another batch of buttercream, I am going to hurl. and I fer sure do not feel like decorating. You just gotta step back and just do the cake little slower and take a break for a while if you can, have a good cry, a glass of wine.... (Or jump on here and get motivated! haha)

I threw out my back one week (my chiropractor told me "these things just happen" so I have no idea how I did it!) Just standing felt like I was going to die! And I had cakes to get out! I spent a LONG TIME making the cakes, so I wouldn't have to go back and fix anything. (with an ice pack shoved down my pants!) I thought they were the worse cakes I have ever done and my DH said to me "They are perfect!" and the brides loved them. So a lot of what you think are "bad" maybe just because you felt you weren't at your best when you made them!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 8

Yes my mood impacts my cake. But I think we kinda keep these things somewhat separate. So it's my relationship with the customer that affects the quality of the cake the most. But if I feel like poo my work does reflect that to a certain degree too. But some cakes have so much stuff made so far in advance that it's just a matter of icing and tossing stuff on so sometimes my bad mood or illness is disguised.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I love a good cake high. when you freaking hit one out of the ball park, dodge potholes and tail gating drivers and heat and humidity, all the ins and outs and get that cake-baby there and breathe life into it and it squeals and starts breathing it's sweet smelling magic like so much happy glitter radiating out allll over the reception hall. And you are wafted out of the venue on those fumes. Nothing like the sweet sweet buzz of a good cake high.

Oh yeah, don't worry the pendulum swings both ways.

And I'm sorry about you currently having some issues. Hope everything works out for you and soon. (((hug)))

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:12pm
post #4 of 8

Yes I do!! More often these days than not. I don't know if it is this stupid Low pressure system "s***ing" on my head or what, but, not the same outlook on them as even a few months ago. Nice to know I'm not alone. icon_smile.gif

delicious_designs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delicious_designs7 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 8

lorimoms--I know how you feel. icon_sad.gif I just messed up my shoulder a couple of days ago and it is killing me. I need to start on a wedding cake today and next week is my busiest week since last Christmas (28 dozen cookies last Christmas). So how does a wedding cake turn out when the decorator is on muscle relaxers?! My mood is definitely different and I am trying SO HARD not to let it effect my cakes. I am stressed, worried, and in pain. I am just going to take my time and hope for the best. Wish me luck. icon_smile.gif

minorfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minorfan Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 8

If you get in these funky moods you should try making a cake for free! Somthing YOU want to try, something different.

Totally out of the box, either keep it and dig in or take it to someone or something as a total surprise. The response will get you back on the cake HIGH!!

There are times when I am feeling rushed and then I get funky and HATE the cake I am making but usually the next one will bring me out of it.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 8

I didn't even get a message that you guys had posted. Thanks for taking time to show me I'm not alone. icon_smile.gif

Minorfan: I think you're right. I only seem to make cakes now to order, when I used to do them just for the high of seeing that I could do a new creation. I think I'll take some time and make a "juts because" cake this weekend.

NatalieJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieJohnson Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #8 of 8

Definitely, our moods affect our cakes. Are you frustrated by all the work involved?

It may be a "labor of Love" because we love what we do, but we can't always command the right price. Or, it may be because the Food Network, and other competitions have given the public a totally unrealistic view of what can be done in REAL cake. Viewers of shows like that are shocked when they realize what a cake like that would actually cost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%