What To Wear For Deliveries?

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm by Denae

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:24am
post #1 of 17

I have seen discussion lately about wearing chef coats and I would love to know what everyone wears when they deliver and set up a cake.

I do like the look of the chef's coat but I feel not worthy but everyday clothes don't seem professional enough. I don't have a storefront, just a seperate liscensed kitchen at my home.

I would love to know what you do.

Amy

16 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:51am
post #2 of 17

HA!

I always intend to do myself up and wear my business shirt.

But I am usually working till the last minute, tired and a wreck and I just go!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:18am
post #3 of 17

My husband bought me a Chef coat (jacket) and had my Logo and name embroidered on it... Im like you I didn't feel worthy.. but like my Husband said... "I think you are more than worthy! NOW WEAR IT" so I do... hehe... I do love it.. and the fact that he thinks I am worthy...icon_smile.gif

In the summer time.. by the way it was 112 here today... ugh.. I can not wear the chef jacket.. waaay to hot.. I just dress nice....and deliver the cake.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:22am
post #4 of 17

Even a nice apron (perhaps with your business name on it) would look more professional and would let people know who you are.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:32am
post #5 of 17

Sharon, that's exactly why the chef coat is such a good idea. It's ready in the closet. I just roll up the sleeves. You just toss it on and go. You are instantly presentable, professional and there's the added bonus of it quietly garnering you a little respect.

It's well worth the investment of getting over the initial awkwardness. I mean I could not wear mine for the business it was intended for. I only wore it to one up someone for deliveries--true confession time there icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif --but a boss with little cake experience was trying to stuff me in a box although I was hired for my expertise--so I whipped it out once and became sold on it.

I was so surprised at the general reaction of the public. Food TV probably has a lot to do with it glamorizing the profession. But hey it covers a multitude of spots is soft and comforting too.

bcake, are yours cotton? I wear a thin tank top under and the jacket is loose and it is designed to be worn in the extreme heat. You husband is your biggest fan how cool.

Amy, get you a chefette coat. Take the plunge like Scott Clark Woolley says. icon_biggrin.gif

Amy729 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 17

I can understand why you real pros wear them. I guess because I work out of my liscensed kitchen and not a storefront bakery that I feel funny about it.

Also, I have only been doing this for 1 year. I still feel like a novice.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

I can understand why you real pros wear them. I guess because I work out of my liscensed kitchen and not a storefront bakery that I feel funny about it.

Also, I have only been doing this for 1 year. I still feel like a novice.

I was absent the day they taught that you gotta have a storefront to wear a chef coat. Good thing because I'm not even licensed out of my home. So if one has two years of service and a storefront then one can wear a chef coat? Rules are getting stricter and stricter.

I agree you do feel funny at first. But it's ok to wear it. Consider it a learning curve. It's very good for your business. Especially because you do work out of your home. But you don't have to wear it. I'm guessing you have trouble pricing your cakes maybe?

Comparing ourselves to ourselves we are not wise--somewhere in Corinthians maybe--it's def nt anyway. I said that alll the time to my kids.

Just do it. If the sky falls then you don't have to wear it next time. Wait for the storefront.

Amy729 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 17

I guess it does sound silly. icon_lol.gif

Just my own insecurities. icon_redface.gif I have gotten much better at my pricing though. I used to not be very sure on what I should charge but do not hesitate now.

For my area, I am considered "high" icon_lol.gif I charge 2.50 b/c and 3.25 fondant. (for basic stuff)

O.K. now I want one...

Where do I get one?! icon_biggrin.gif

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 17

So as someone mentioned before...if you feel inadequate to wear a chef's coat for now...come up with another "uniform": a polo shirt (looks nicer than just a t-shirt), lightweight black or tan pants (sorry, I don't think jeans look professional) and an apron with your business name on it.

My business colors were burgandy and pink, so I wore a burgandy polo, tan pants and a tan apron with my burgandy logo on it.

I started wearing the chef jacket a few years later, when I felt I was a bit more skilled and my name was more known.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 17

Because my husband and work to the very last minute like Sharon does, we brought chef coats to, looks way more professional, anyone dealing with food should wear them. I got ours on ebay

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 17

I had some shirts made up with my name on it, I used to wear those on deliveries.
I am too pregnant to wear them now without my tummy hanging out the bottom so I just try to dress nice when I make deliveries.
I meant to at least wear a name tag but I have'nt gotten around to it.

CharmingConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingConfections Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 17

I'm going to get an apron made with my logo on it, I'm a graphic designer and I work at a print shop that does screen printing so I can get this for practically free! icon_smile.gif Though the chef coat does sound fun... I mean professional. (I wanted to be a Chef when I was little!)

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 17

This was discussed not long ago. Take a look at this thread.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-593209-.html

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:33pm
post #14 of 17

I, too, felt funny about wearing a chef's coat, UNTIL

1) I took an intro class in a hospitality program and chef coats were required in lab

2) There was a lengthy discussion here about the matter and it seems that "real" chefs aren't irked so much by the jackset as by people who embroider the the work "Chef" in front of their name on it. Chef is a title that you earn by education and experience. The jacket IS just the uniform. Besides, do you think the guy carving roast beef at the end of the buffet line is a chef? icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by authress

I, too, felt funny about wearing a chef's coat, UNTIL

1) I took an intro class in a hospitality program and chef coats were required in lab

2) There was a lengthy discussion here about the matter and it seems that "real" chefs aren't irked so much by the jackset as by people who embroider the the work "Chef" in front of their name on it. Chef is a title that you earn by education and experience. The jacket IS just the uniform. Besides, do you think the guy carving roast beef at the end of the buffet line is a chef? icon_biggrin.gif

Good point!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:15pm
post #16 of 17

I think anybody can wear a chef coat..The chefcoat doesnt make you good...Is your ability..Is the fact that with or withouth the chef coat you can do t he work. I have known some that wear those and they think is like magic.. I have a chef coat I am the bomb..Well..when they try to prove it..everything crumbles..

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

HA!

I always intend to do myself up and wear my business shirt.

But I am usually working till the last minute, tired and a wreck and I just go!

this is me too! last time i delivered a wedding cake, my power was knocked out for almost an hour and a half. i gave it about 30 min and i loaded up all my stuff in my truck and started to head to my mother's to finish up, but it came back on. i finally finished the cake 15min before the wedding and headed out the door with powdered sugar on me from head to toe and a pair of ball shorts on and a tshirt oh yeah and crocks. i tried to fix my hair a little better on the way, but wasn't happening. thank the lord NO ONE was in the reception hall and the bride was a very close friend of mine. haha...i set the cake up and jetted...i ran home took a shower and finally made it to the reception. but...what if you are not a licensed baker/decorator and do it out of your home?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%