Problem? Keeping Cake Moist With Filling

Decorating By flygurl25 Updated 15 Jul 2008 , 12:34am by shanasweets

flygurl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flygurl25 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #1 of 7

Hello fellow members, I really need yall's help. I made my first professional cake it was a store bought vanilla cake batter with vanilla pudding filling and the outside was buttercream. It was a test cake for a baby shower that I need to make on July 12th. The problem was that the cake was dry inside and the pudding was soaked up by the cake so it made it even more dry. I was thinking our ways to make this cake better but being new at this I am at a loss and need yall's expertise. Please help!!!

6 replies
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

I use the cake extender recipe and everyone loves it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

Here is what I do:
Betty Crocker white cake mix.
per instruction on box 1/3 cup oil I think 1 1/4 cup water and 3 egg whites. I use extra large.
Then I add: 1 6oz vanilla yoplait yogurt or 8oz sourcream or vaniall yoplait if I have a large container. it's about the same.
Then 1/3 tsp salt
1 other egg white
1 cup sugar and 1 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla or other flavor of your choice.
This makes more than your regular cake, so I always make some mini cupcakes and it works great.

Also if you feel it's still too dry, make a "simple syrup : 1 part sugar and 1 part water. bring to a boil. let cool add a flavor if you want and spoon in about 1 tbsp increments on top of the cake before you fill with filling or add a layer of BC depending on what you are going to do. Just make sure you do it slow and cover at least a few inches square with each spoon fulls. You want the cake looking wet on top, but not soaked through.
Usually I use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup for 2 - 10 inch cake layers.

You can store your syrup in the freezer if you make a lot and use it when you need it.

Good Luck.

edited to add : cake extender link.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 7

Was this just regular pudding that you used? not the sleeved filling designed for cakes? I've read from other CC'ers that regular pudding will soak into a cake and make it all mooshy. Try the sleeved fillings ... I use them all the time and they dont' soak into the cake. Another idea is to put a thin layer of BC icing down, then put the filling on it. The BC acts as a barrier to help hold the filling in place so it doesn't soak into the cake.

When you say "store bought vanilla batter", do you mean a cake mix? what brand? I use Betty Crocker, no altering, extending, doctoring or syruping and they are nice and moist. If yours turned out dry, you may have baked it too hot (I don't care if the box says 350 ... bake it on 325) or baked it too long. Did you freeze the cake? I find if I freeze it even for 3-4 hours, it makes it more moist.

The good news is you gave it a try before the event and have time to tweek it! thumbs_up.gif

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Was this just regular pudding that you used? not the sleeved filling designed for cakes? I've read from other CC'ers that regular pudding will soak into a cake and make it all mooshy. Try the sleeved fillings ... I use them all the time and they dont' soak into the cake. Another idea is to put a thin layer of BC icing down, then put the filling on it. The BC acts as a barrier to help hold the filling in place so it doesn't soak into the cake.

When you say "store bought vanilla batter", do you mean a cake mix? what brand? I use Betty Crocker, no altering, extending, doctoring or syruping and they are nice and moist. If yours turned out dry, you may have baked it too hot (I don't care if the box says 350 ... bake it on 325) or baked it too long. Did you freeze the cake? I find if I freeze it even for 3-4 hours, it makes it more moist.

The good news is you gave it a try before the event and have time to tweek it! thumbs_up.gif

Totally agree with indydebi, use the sleeved filling (vanilla bavarian cream as an alternative to vanilla pudding). Not only does it not need refrigeration, it is very yummy! And yes, regular pudding will soak into the cake.

Did you refrigerate your cake uncovered because of the vanilla pudding? Extended refrigeration can actually dry out a cake as well. Like indydebi said, your cake may have been overbaked too. I bake at 325 as well.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Totally agree with indydebi, use the sleeved filling (vanilla bavarian cream as an alternative to vanilla pudding). Not only does it not need refrigeration, it is very yummy! And yes, regular pudding will soak into the cake.

Did you refrigerate your cake uncovered because of the vanilla pudding? Extended refrigeration can actually dry out a cake as well. Like indydebi said, your cake may have been overbaked too. I bake at 325 as well.

Can you tell me where you get your sleeved fillings from? Is there a place online? I can't find anyone locally that sells them.

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 14 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

Stephanie, I buy from www.countrykitchensa.com . And they have blueberry!!! YUMMY! You can also buy from www.globalsugarart.com

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 12:34am
post #7 of 7

For cake I use the extender receipe plus a box of instant pudding added to dry ingredients. I personnaly usually use duncan hines most of the time. I have never had a complaint and even when eaten a couple days after cutting still moist.

I usually use sleeves, but if you have none and need to use pudding. I always mix with whipping cream instead of milk. Whip until very thick. Usually just spread on but did a cake recently in the heat that really needed stiff buttercream dam first. But these must be frig. after due to the cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%