Ace Of Cakes "globey" How Do I Do This?

Decorating By drurys Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 3:28am by FromScratch

drurys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drurys Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:01am
post #1 of 11

Hey CC Gang,
I just got an order for a globe.
Now my client saw this one on Ace of Cakes, made by Duff and would like one like it... AAGGGHHHH....
How in the world do I do this?
What about the weight of the round globe part? What about the gold thing that goes around it? What is the bottom?
HELP please...
Thanks in advance!
Jen in CA
www.nomoreboringcakes.com
LL

10 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #2 of 11

I'm sorry, I have no advice for you. I can't imagine doing this cake. If you do, make sure you charge an arm and probably two legs for it!!!

Lesia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lesia Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 11

My guess is that the bottom half of the "globe" would be styro. The gold part, probably gumpaste? Best of luck!

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:15am
post #4 of 11

I think you would have to use rice krispy treats and the bottom I would use different size cake drums covered in fondant and imprint a wood grain
and for the metal thing I would use gum paste and color gold just a though

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:17am
post #5 of 11

Man I sure hope you charge his prices. Do you know that thier cakes start at 500 bucks I know he does great work! I actually contacted his agent about having him judge a competition and do you know he gets $25,000 to go to a venue! YES $25,000 is what they told me. certainly out of our price range!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 11

I would pm Doug and see if he has any ideas. Does your client know what Duff charges for a cake like that? I'd ask them what their budget is before I even considered doing it. If they don't have a few hundred bucks I wouldn't even thionk about it.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #7 of 11

Ace of Cakes uses wood in many of their structures so like Lesia, I would say that 1/2 the globe probably supports it and the rest is cake. I would think that the base and the "c" shape around the cake are from a real Globe. But that is just me.
I would think from the picture I edited that the red 1/2 of the globe would be stiro and the peg that goes through it hold the whole thing in place.
You would have to place a big warning.... do not attempt to make this globe turn on itself or you will get a "glob" of cake!! icon_twisted.gif

Dont forget to charge seperately for the globe you will have to purchase and dismantle in order to make this cake and according to the Charm City website I would not charge less than $500 since they easily charge $1000 for this type of cake.

Good Luck.
LL

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:26am
post #8 of 11

It may be be styrofoam. Duff work in non-cake as much as he works in cake...

Quote:
Quote:

actually contacted his agent about having him judge a competition and do you know he gets $25,000 to go to a venue! YES $25,000 is what they told me. certainly out of our price range!

Pfff! My best friends little brother who still sleeps in their parents basement has the same dorky facial hair and slacker friends as Duff. He could easily pass and be your judge, and he'd probably do it for beer money.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #9 of 11
jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #10 of 11

I wouldn't even consider doing this cake for less than $250.00. She can always order it FROM Duff & pay him for delivery.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:28am
post #11 of 11

I'll aslo chime in that this cake wouldn't be done for less than $500.. it's a technically challenging cake.. or at the very least gravitationally challenging one. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%