Any Other Klutzes Out There?

Lounge By JodieF Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm by JodieF

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 17

I have always been klutzy, but today I outdid myself. icon_cry.gif I was at my moms house and went to turn on the water for the pool slide. I missed a step (forget that I grew up there so should have known there was a step there in my SLEEP!) and crashed. My hands are skinned, I landed all my weight on one knee and twisted the other ankle underneath me.

The damage: huge swollen, bruised and bloody knee, two broken toes (I've never seen totally purple toes before!) and the other ankle is swollen bruised and sprained. Pain pills anyone?????

On the plus side I'm on summer vacation until school starts again and maybe I'll heal in time to stand to do a cake for 350 in 3 weeks! icon_cry.gif

Any fellow klutzes out there?

16 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 17

well, some years ago I cracked my tailbone when I bounced down my stairway on New Years Eve. (Uh.... yeah ... alcohol WAS involved!) icon_rolleyes.gif

JodieF Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 17

*lol* I've done that too....couldn't sit flat for almost a year!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 17

I could share lots of stories to make you feel better icon_biggrin.gif I'll give you the highlights...

I broke my hand by walking into a park bench while carrying a binder. I forgot to look where I was going because I was checking out the buns on the guy walking in front of me.

I broke my other hand in the ceiling fan when I stood up on the bed (this was about 8 years after the other broken hand incident) to wave to my husband over the wall in our loft apartment.

I fell off my platform shoe while crossing the street and broke my foot. The whole foot was black with bruising and I couldn't even walk a step, had to crawl out of the intersection with the stroller and two kids, then stand on the side of the road while someone attempted to wake up my husband to pick me up, because our car had the kids' carseats.

Anyhow, it's funny how much more it hurts to fall down when we're grownups. ((((((Hugs)))))) and I hope you feel better soon.

Rest with your foot elevated as much as you can. Wear flat shoes until you're all healed up, too.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 17

does:

falling on a picket fence (5th grade-40 stitches right arm)

flipping bike (HS - 7 stitches right knee)

falling off bike (1st grade -- both knees no skin basically)

slamming into door frame & glass pop bottles (4-yr-old -- no stitches to head, just a big scar under thought that will teach him)

popped knee cap (college and 4th year of teaching -- right knee both times)

badly sprained ankle (college -- fell off the sidewalk while sober!)

major case of road rash (college -- laid out motorcycle -- sober!)

and so many other incidents of running into, tripping over, falling from (the edge of the stage for instance!)

count?

----

feel better!

if misery loves company - then lots of company here!

JodieF Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #6 of 17

oh Doug...that popped knee cap thing....*shivers*

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 17

Age 4: fell onto a coffee table and busted lip-- 9 stitches. I was walking at the time.

2 years ago- fell down my own front stairs (14 of them)-- fortunately bouncing on my rear/back-- never turned upside down-- no alcohol involved

about 7-8 years ago ran into glass door face first-- didn't see it in my rush to get into my friend's house to find out what was happening in the Auburn-Georgia game. I was fine-- just embarrassed.

Hope you are better soon.

mandygirlxoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandygirlxoxo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #8 of 17

oh man you dont even know... im in high school and my first football game was so much fun until half way thru... i was sitting with some of my friends right next to the school band in the bleachers... when i went to go get a soda i slipped on someones jacket and fell face first down the bleachers into the band... luckily i didnt hurt myself that bad but i might have given one of the band mebers an injury or two. all my friends laughed at me and they still make fun of me for it a year later. lol

i have had so many accidents but thankfully no serious injuries. on of my worst injuries was from my mom... ( no she is not abusive or anything like that so dont flipp) i was 4 years old and my uncle was getting married that day. also my aunt in moses lake was having her baby, with all the excitment my mom had to stay up for a total of 34 hours. we were about a mile from my house and we were at a stop sign... i was in the way back of the mini van, my sister was in the middle row and my mom was driving... she fell asleep at the stop sign, put her foot on the gas, and ran straight into a tree. her and my sister got out alright but then the tree fell ontop of the car and smashed all the windows. the worst i got was a black eye and a brown tooth.. i dont remember what hit me all i remember was that they strapped my head to a stretcher and took me straight to the hospital... no one else was hurt except me. they had to pull all the glass out of my head... i also remember they gave me a teddy bear icon_biggrin.gif lol. but yea i have been very lucky with my klutzyness... icon_wink.gif

JodieF Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #9 of 17

okay...I do feel better that I'm not the only one out there.

I have many, MANY stories. I put my fingers in a garage door hinge and slammed it shut. I was talking and had reached behind me to shut the door. I thought I had the handle. The door actually latched down, that's how squished my fingers were. That was one of many cringe-worthy stories.....

I just realized I tore off a toe nail....I hadn't even noticed that..... icon_eek.gif

I've sprained my ankles many times, but I've never had a hurt knee and broken toes on one leg and a sprained ankle on the other! I can't even take Vicoden!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:03am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I can't even take Vicoden!

well, then it being summer, I suggest Long Island Iced Tea!

at least 2.

maybe even 3 (and we'll pour you into bed!)

JodieF Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:06am
post #11 of 17

Oh man....I LOVE Long Island Ice Teas!

Bartender!!!!!!!!!!!

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 17

I'm a remember of the frequent falls club too. I once stepped on my own toe and broke it. I was getting up off of the couch and my legs got tangled together and my right heel came down full force on my baby toe....talk about painful.

Another time, I was pushing my niece on a merry-go-round. I gave a big push and my feet slipped on the wet mud and I slid right under the merry-go-round. I had to lay there watching it spin inches from my face until someone came over and stopped it. Talk about humiliating!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 17

I know about purple toes! I broke one of mine at a water park getting my bottom half out of an innertube in the wave pool. I had slipped down into it and was trying to wiggle out when they started the waves again.

I thought I was the only klutz!

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:42pm
post #14 of 17

I drop EVERYTHING! I am so bad I am not permitted to carry glass any longer. Turns out I actually have Carpel Tunnel in both hands and that is causing me to not be able to grip things properly. IT was the running joke that I could never be a waitress-ever! At least now I have an excuse for my inability to hold onto things!
Tracy

JodieF Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 17

My ankle has felt worse all day and it's SO swollen. I went in for x-rays and will find out tomorrow if it's broken. I didn't sleep and I'm feeling awfully whiney.
I feel SO stupid for falling like that!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:32pm
post #16 of 17

Good lord, when I was a server I cost the restaurant where I worked so much money! Forget all the broken plates and glasses. I ruined a lady's brand new white Dooney & Bourke purse by spilling red wine on it, and another lady's pair of pristine white keds with BBQ sauce. But my best one was when the Dallas Cowboys were in Atlanta for the superbowl, and they came to my restaurant for dinner. I spilled a plate of BBQ ribs and a whole ramekin of BBQ sauce spilled onto a player's pants. He started yelling at me that his pants cost $350.00! Oh! And once I dropped a football tray with some seafood pasta on it, and it got all down a woman's back and in her big ol' frizzy black hair. It was lunchtime-I wonder if she went back to work. icon_redface.gif

JodieF Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm
post #17 of 17

Oh man....sure doesn't sound like waitressing was a good idea for you! icon_razz.gif

I finally heard today....the ankle isn't broken! It's still really swollen and a whole lot of pretty colors. My knee has a bruise that covers about a 6 x 6 area but the swelling has gone down. Surprisingly enough, the toes aren't bothering me very much.

So, I'm feeling less whiny today. I think I'll be fine in a week. Thanks for your "klutzy" stories! It did make me feel better!

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%