Your Opinion On A Business Name

Business By cakelady15 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 2:36am by cakelady15

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 14

I haven't opened my own business yet, but I am getting a business plan together and building up my portfolio. I am having trouble picking a business name though. My sister suggested Cakes by Tammy Sue which I think is cute, but my boyfriend says sounds hillbilly (it's my name so I really appreciated that comment icon_biggrin.gif ). He thinks I should name it something that is associated with the area I live. I think Tammy's Cake Creations is cute. Any opinions?

13 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 14

tammy's cakes, cakes by tammy, the name your sis suggested your bf notwithstanding, any of these are good.
Good luck to you

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:13am
post #3 of 14

Tammy Sue does sound "hillbilly-ish" to me as well. Sorry... it's the whole inclusion of the middle name. It makes me think of rednecks or a child who's being yelled at (you know that's the only time your momma used your middle name!) lol

Hope I didn't offend you - just being honest. If you live in the south, it may be more appropriate.

As to what you should call yourself - I can't answer that. Whatever you choose though, make sure you say it out loud several times and see how much you REALLY like it.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 14

I don't have a problem with using Sue in the biz name. It sounds kind of folksy, and to me it brings to mind a yummy, homemade cake. But I am originally from SW Georgia, so I guess I'm pretty country anyway!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 14

Tammy's Tasty Temptations
-sinfully good cakes, cupcakes and cookies-
(adjust list to match your offerings)

or

just use "Tasty Temptations"

----

I find names of places with the "by ..." to have the ring of amateur to it. You see few mainline businesses named that way. If they do, they are almost always done in the possessive form: Bob's, Sam's, etc.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 14

consider your market like Brandi suggested. who do you want to sell cakes to and where are you located.

once you decide you can brainstorm words that you think describe your future business, will it be upscale, fun, casual, home style, modern, etc.?

it is likely your BF is not your target market, I'm only guessing he's not a 25 year old engaged woman.

so if he doesn't like the name it doesn't matter, you're not trying to sell him a cake.

cakelady15 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I'm going to have to think about this one.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannewinslow

consider your market like Brandi suggested. who do you want to sell cakes to and where are you located.

once you decide you can brainstorm words that you think describe your future business, will it be upscale, fun, casual, home style, modern, etc.?

it is likely your BF is not your target market, I'm only guessing he's not a 25 year old engaged woman.

so if he doesn't like the name it doesn't matter, you're not trying to sell him a cake.

hmmm....so men never are in the market for cake?
we never need one for the wife/finance/girlfriend/mom/niece/aunt/grandma/other female of importance??

be careful to pick a name that will draw in biggest client base possible and doesn't come off as sexist.

cakelady15 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #9 of 14

So I decided on a name today. I figured if I dwell on this too long then I'm going to drive myself crazy. I chose Akron Cake Creations (Akron is the city I live in). I bought the web address today and by choosing this name it will put me first in the phone book (at least until someone picks a name earlier in the alphabet icon_biggrin.gif ). Also if someone uses a search engine to find cakes in Akron it should pull my name up pretty high on the list. I know it's not too creative, but when you look at the advertising benefits it works for meicon_smile.gif Any opinions on the name I chose would be greatly appreciated. I think the name sounds professional and it isn't sexist. I do want to appeal to all people and not just a certain group especially since I don't yet have a lot of wedding experience.

cakelady15 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:58am
post #10 of 14

Oh yeah I almost forgot to tell Brandi, I wish the only time my Mom used my middle name was when I was in trouble. My entire family calls me Tammy Sue all the time. My sister even sings a song. It's to the theme of Scooby Doo and she sings Tammy, Tammy Sue where are you, we got some cakes to make now. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:02am
post #11 of 14

And here I was going to come back and suggest something I thought up today... "The Cake Whisperer"! Heh.

Ah well... maybe someone will flatter me and snag the name. I like to think I'm brilliant every now and then (even if I'm just fooling myself).

I like the name you picked. Simply, easy to remember. The important thing is that you like it though.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:21am
post #12 of 14

Well, you could have people sing the song "Peggy Sue"---Buddy Holly & change it to Tammy Sue. It may have already happened though.

tortitas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tortitas Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #13 of 14

And what would happen if you ever moved from AKRON? icon_rolleyes.gif

cakelady15 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #14 of 14

I don't plan on moving from Akron. I've lived here for all of my thirty years and I love it. All of my family lives here and my bf (someday my husband I'm sureicon_smile.gif) owns a business here that is pretty well established so I'm pretty sure we aren't going anywhere. Of course, you never know so I guess if I move I would have to change the name. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%