Bakery Buddy

Business By BakingJeannie Updated 22 Jul 2008 , 2:08am by Tashablueyes

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 34

Is anyone familiar with BakeryBuddy.com? I found it and thought it seems like a very good idea, but was nervous to signup until I found out more about the site.

Just want to get some feedback.

Cheers!

Jeannie

33 replies
gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 34

just checked out the site... you really want all your recipes on the internet and not on paper? you have a computer in your kitchen? seems to me like it's not so practical, but it's just my opinion.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 34

well........ since you asked...... icon_rolleyes.gif

I take my wireless laptop into my kitchen and open up my bride files when I'm working on a cake so I can read the details. I use it to search recipes on the 'net and it's open while I'm working on the dish. I have a picture of the cake the bride emailed me open on my screen so I can duplicate it.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

well........ since you asked...... icon_rolleyes.gif

I take my wireless laptop into my kitchen and open up my bride files when I'm working on a cake so I can read the details. I use it to search recipes on the 'net and it's open while I'm working on the dish. I have a picture of the cake the bride emailed me open on my screen so I can duplicate it.

Aren't you nervous about spilling something on it, or knocking it off the counter?!?

I print everything out for reference and keeping it on the counter next to my work, it always gets covered in buttercream, fillings, etc. I'd hate to see what would happen to my laptop if I kept it in the kitchen! LOL!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 34

I put my laptop onto the bar above the sink, so it doesn't get wet or messy. I love having it open to the recipes or pictures that I'm using, plus I can read and/or answer email if I need to. The means and ability to multi-task are essential these days!

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 34

Thanks for the info! I'm going to check it out. I currently have a recipe program on my computer and I do have a computer in the kitchen. I've got a large kitchen, so my computer is no where near my mixer, stove, etc.

Thanks for the tip!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 34

I have a computer area made into the end of my counter top ! I have a full size computer there! along with a tv/ radio /desk etc ! The whole works ! This is MY area We have another computer rm for hubby and exercise equp.! but I love mine in the kitchen and have lots of recipes etc on it I can sit right here ( like now )while I bake /cook dinner, whatever and its very easy to get at everything !

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 34

keyboards can be covered w/ plastic wrap....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:51pm
post #9 of 34

Brandi, I can set it on the other worktable (away from flying flour); or if I need it close, I put it on one of those Pampered Chef cooling racks on legs ... it's elevated away from the mess and no danger from any spills.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

They also sell keyboard condoms..you know, safe hex..

Anyhoo, I print out everything and keep it in a folder for each bride. Then when she orders her anniversary cake, I am set. It also comes in handy if someone says "I like that cake!" in my gallery and I have to make it again. I can pull out her folder and have all I need...

I too would be chicken to have all my stuff on line!!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Brandi, I can set it on the other worktable (away from flying flour); or if I need it close, I put it on one of those Pampered Chef cooling racks on legs ... it's elevated away from the mess and no danger from any spills.

I'm just too clutzy I guess. I'd hate to knock a $2,000 piece of equipment off the counter, or spill something all over it. And knowing me, I totally would! LOL!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

but just how many noncomputer nerds are going to get that!

(never understood why people found hex so hard!)

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 34

My computer is right around the corner in the next room from my kitchen.
I wouldn't trust anyone making something in my kitchen with my computer out there..LOL...
I print out what I need and tape it to my cupboard door at eye level...

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:26am
post #14 of 34

my computer at the shop is on a counter perpendicular to the table i decorate at...i can stand in front of my cake...and just turn my head to see the screen...sure comes in handy ....for doing drawings...

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 1:15pm
post #15 of 34

plastic wrap works wonderfully for me!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #16 of 34

I'm not worried about spilling, I'm worried about something happening to my computer otherwise (I don't even want to say it and jink myself!) like a crash or something, and then you wouldn't have any info for your brides and orders. Even if I took my computer into the kitchen, I would still need to have it backed up or printed out somewhere (I'm a tangible girl, need something in my hands).

MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 34

Yikes! $125 per year?!?! I'll stick with Cake Boss icon_smile.gif

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 34

My aunt has one of those kitchen cart things with wheels, she will set her computer there and have it in the room while cooking, so its there but not on the same counter.

You could always buy that fridge with the computer in it lol...technology is great but I kinda fear the day my fridge tells me to put down the ice cream and get my fat A** to the gym!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 9:16pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Whoa. That's crazy expensive! Cakeboss is much cheaper...I need to buy that.

MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 10:32pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:

Yep, and I think Cake Boss is a one-time deal, right? No yearly fees?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:13pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:

Yep, and I think Cake Boss is a one-time deal, right? No yearly fees?

That's right. thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 15 Jul 2008 , 11:19pm
post #22 of 34

I already have Cake Boss and what's the point of fixin something if it ain't broken.

I know I would forget to make a payment if I had to do it every year. Ahem, isn't that right, Kelley? LOL!

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 9:54pm
post #23 of 34

What happens is this service goes offline for some reason? Can you still retrieve everything? That is scary to me.

MichelleM77 Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 10:55pm
post #24 of 34

Cake Boss is all saved on your computer. You only get updates from online, so you just have to worry about your computer crashing (you can backup to a floppy). Kelley, correct me if I'm wrong.

Bakery Buddy, I have no idea about.

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #25 of 34

That was my thinking too MichelleM77. I just fear loosing everything online. I have used Quick Books Pro in the past for other business ventures (former bookkeeper) and if Cake Boss is anything like that it will be heaven!

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #26 of 34

Sorry to Hijack the original topic, however i wanted to post what I know about Cake Boss.

Based on the website for cake boss it doesn't replace your book keeping software. But everything is saved on your hard drive. You buy it once and only need to go online if updates have been made to the software. It will help you make invoices, keep track of all orders for each customer, organize your recipes and costs for making your cakes, cookies, candies, icings, fillings, etc.

But if you use Quick Books or some other book keeping software, it doesn't replace those or do what is typically considered book keeping tasks.

that's what I know about it from reading the website at FAQ.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #27 of 34

I have used my laptop in my kitchen for at least the past 6 or 7 years and have yet to ruin one (knock on wood). It's just easier to have it with me so I can have all my info at hand and search/surf if I need too! My kitchen woudn't be the samae without it! thumbs_up.gif

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #28 of 34

I have Cake Boss and y'all are correct...only one yearly fee and that's it. When you open it, if you are connected it will auto update. Everything is stored on your hard drive and it is GREAT! thumbs_up.gif I save pictures, recipes, orders deliveries, appointments, EVERYTHING! AND it will give you managemnet reports, like pie charts to track your clients, orders, etc. It has been very helpful! icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

but just how many noncomputer nerds are going to get that!

I thought I was the only one who got this icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DoubleA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleA Posted 21 Jul 2008 , 7:21pm
post #30 of 34

I have Cake Boss and y'all are correct...only one yearly fee and that's it. When you open it, if you are connected it will auto update. Everything is stored on your hard drive and it is GREAT! thumbs_up.gif I save pictures, recipes, orders deliveries, appointments, EVERYTHING! AND it will give you managemnet reports, like pie charts to track your clients, orders, etc. It has been very helpful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%