Lemonade Stands/bake Sales?

Business By gottabakenow Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 6:48am by CoutureCake

gottabakenow Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 15

what's the deal with that? people do 'em... they're not licensed... Is it legally allowed? I'm not saying that if I want to do a bake sale I'll get licensed, obviously, just curious. icon_wink.gif

14 replies
FeGe_Cakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 15

Well..in bake sells all of the items are donated...and it is normally for charity. I donated a cake for a bake sell for an elementry school. I had to provide a value..and they had to pay taxes on it. The money was going for field trips..and etc.

The lemonade stands are probably "illegal"..but who would report a kid?

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 15

are you talking people setting up a stand as a business? Churches sitting outside of walmart? Or my youngest daughter who puts one in her front yard in the summer?

chellebell70 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 15

We do bake sales along with other things like our craft show at the fire station. When we have food to sell from our kitchen like hot dogs, nachos etc. we have to get a license. If you are cooking/heating up etc. We have to pay a license fee and the inspecter comes out and checks our food temps, our cooler/refer temp and makes sure we are wearing gloves, hair nets and have the proper wash, rinse sanitize going. If we are just bringing in pkd food like bake goods to sell we don't have to have a license. If caught w/o one we would be fined. It's like $30/$35 to get one here .......and we are non-profit. Add that to the cost of food and you have to sell alot to make back your money!

chellebell70 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 15

We do bake sales along with other things like our craft show at the fire station. When we have food to sell from our kitchen like hot dogs, nachos etc. we have to get a license. If you are cooking/heating up etc. We have to pay a license fee and the inspecter comes out and checks our food temps, our cooler/refer temp and makes sure we are wearing gloves, hair nets and have the proper wash, rinse sanitize going. If we are just bringing in pkd food like bake goods to sell we don't have to have a license. If caught w/o one we would be fined. It's like $30/$35 to get one here .......and we are non-profit. Add that to the cost of food and you have to sell alot to make back your money!

gottabakenow Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:11pm
post #6 of 15

well this is what got me thinking about it in the first place.

I work for a magazine for girls, by girls. We're expanding to publish books and are working on a craft and recipe book right now. In the next week or two, we're going to test everything and the publisher of the magazine thought of selling the things we make. I guess this goes under the category of youngest-daughter-selling-in-front-yard. icon_wink.gif

What do you think?

There's the problem of advertising. K so it is advertising, right? If we put up signs? And send out an email to our town email list about it?

Is it too early to say "shoot"?

littlecake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 15

are the rules different for non profits? like church ladies having sales to support missions?

SHADDI Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 15

My son was just asking me the other day that he want to do a lemonade stand and sell cupcakes with the lemonade. i thought that was a cute idea.

i am licensed. so i would think that is ok. right i hope

he wants to get money to buy something. i can't remember what it was.
but it's a great idea for him to see that you have to work to get money cause he think we just get money for free from the bank or the credit card and you don't have to pay it back.

gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 15

i think it should be fine since your licensed.

i got really paranoid about doing this bake sale after i thought about it for a while. i know it's technically illegal but what do you guys think? any thoughts, ideas, reprimands... icon_wink.gif

thanks so much, i really appreciate it!

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 15

You'd have to find out from your town if you can do that. In most residential areas it would be illegal to have a "store front" in your home, but who really would report a child? I buy things from the kids on the road all the time.

gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 15

i guess it's really no different than doing a lemonade stand. we'll be doing it in front of her house. it's psychological for me i spose, since I've been reading so much about not selling food without a license, but lemonade seems so much... smaller and not as big a deal. KWIM?

just being paranoid over here. icon_wink.gif

FromScratch Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 15

Honestly.. I think the worst you'd get is asked to stop if someone of authority wandered by. I know that because of zoning I can't put a sign up that says "Cupcakes for Sale" and get foot traffic. But I highly doubt anyone is going to come at you with pitch forks and jail time.. icon_lol.gif

gottabakenow Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 15

oh really?? i was thinking you were going to come and report me to the whoevers...

well anyway, thanks for your input. we're going to do it. even if i was really scared of something happening, I don't think i could get my friend to not go on with her plan. icon_smile.gif

If we get caught I'll make sure to let you know, and never let any kids i know do any lemonade stands. icon_wink.gif

margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 15

Call or email your provincial/state department of agriculture for regulations regarding bake sales. A group did one last year for a fundraiser, and I was concerned about the rules for preparing food in a licensed kitchen. Anyway, I emailed them, and got this link back: http://www.capitalhealth.ca/nr/rdonlyres/ecvx427da3ksvcbq4aipziv6cbor5ejxcdjt3vapvvygq6gblvd33hzfitsb37tjvfy3jdzq5hvqerhzatc5umvtacb/charitablebakesales.pdf

It says that you do not need a permit (Alberta) to have a bake sale where the food is provided by members of the organization. However, you have to be sanitary, wrap the food, etc etc.

There are lots of things that are not technically legal that are of such small impact that no one will pursue them. However, if yours is the bake sale where 10% of the customers come down with food poisoning -- look out.

CoutureCake Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 6:48am
post #15 of 15

Most states have a provision for certain things (bake sales fit into this category but they need to fit certain parameters..)... I know here churches, schools, and non-profits are exempt for certain things, not others...

Every year they have a huge garage sale in town and in order to sell any food, even bottled water, you need to get a provisional license (basically, they come out and make sure you've got a way to wash your hands, keep temperatures, and go over some of the basics)...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%