Dough Hook On Ka For Kneading Mmf?

Decorating By ainsleyandmatthewmom Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm by Kaybaby

ainsleyandmatthewmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ainsleyandmatthewmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 11

I made MMF for the first time last week for some 4th of July cookies, and instead of hand-kneading I just used the dough hook on my kitchenaid. Was I completely ignorant to do this? LOL The MMF turned out awesome, the cookies were beautiful, and I was thrilled to pieces because I hate kneading. icon_smile.gif

Tell me, am I the only one who's done this??

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 11

I do it too. It works best if the hook and bowl are well-greased.

cameron0925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cameron0925 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 11

I have made mmf twice. The 1st time I used the hook and it worked great. The 2nd time I forgot to switch out to the hook until halfway through the process. But after I put the hook on it was much better!!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 11

Don't do it! The first two times I did it, no problem. The third time I did it, the dough got caught in between the dough hook and the side of the bowl and stripped the gears and it cost me over $100 to have it repaired. I've heard many horror stories where people have ruined their KA's making MMF. Now I just knead it by hand - no problem.

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #5 of 11

I have a KA with a 6 qt. bowl and use it ALL THE TIME for my MMF and never have a problem.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #6 of 11

I agree with irish25. I tried it once and it made such an awfull sound, i turned it off, scared I was going to ruin my machine. I still premix a little with my machine but always knead by hand. Can't afford to have the KA replaced.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 11

I have made MMF exactly 3 times. The first two I used the KA dough hook. Didn't turn out quite right...too sticky. The third time I used the hook to mix it and then kneaded by hand until I could "feel" the right consistency. Turned out perfect.

For me....has to be a combination of the two!

Beth in KY

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 11

I use my ka all the time to make mmf...........it works like a charm!!!!!!
Just make sure to grease the bowl and the dough hook well.........I can't imagine kneading all that by hand......whew!!!!!!!
Oh, and make sure you only use it on #2 speed..........

Susan icon_wink.gif

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #9 of 11

Count me as another who uses the KA with dough hook for most of the mixing, then finishes kneading by hand.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 11

I don't make MMF, I use Michell Fosters recipe. In my 6qt KA the dough hook works great!

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:58pm
post #11 of 11

I'm going to be making MMF for the first time and prefer to use the dough hook on my KA, at least for the mixing. Do you all microwave the marshmallows and water in a microwavable bowl and then transfer to the KA bowl, or do you add the additional ingredients then switch over and add the conf. sugar? I also want to add the Princess Cookie and Cake Emulsion but wanted to know how much to add per batch and do I add it with the vanilla and lemon that the recipe calls for?

Thanks again,

Vonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%