Cake Board Questions??

Decorating By susanscakecreations Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm by wgoat5

susanscakecreations Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!
Since I'm a 'newbie' at this cake decorating stuff, I was wondering what kind of cake boards you all use.........I have just been using cardboard covered with foil, but I have seen/heard/read about going to Lowe's or Home Depot to have boards cut.
My question is.....when you go to Lowe's or Home Depot, what kind of wood do you use? What thickness?

Thanks to all for your help and inspiration!

8 replies
diane Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 9

i use the same thickness as the wilton boards...i think they're about a 1/2 inch . icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

stlouiscake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 9

I use masonite boards covered with cake foil for heavy cakes. My local cake shop sells them in round sizes and rectangular.

susanscakecreations Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I live in a small town and we don't have any local cake shops to buy supplies at..................I have to go about 30 miles out of town to buy things............or order online...................

thanks again!

sugarshack Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:56am
post #5 of 9

MDF 1/2 inch

NayNay2 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 9

I was wondering the same thing and now I'm on the hunt for some boards...another question.

Do your require them (customers) to return your cake boards to you? and if they don't do you charge them.. just your policy in general would be helpful.

sugarshack Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 9

Na, the baords only cost a buck or two. I just don;t worry about them.

kristina67 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 9

I once saw a post that someone went to a stereo installation shop for cars and they have to cut circles out for the speakers and they toss the "good" part out. Just a thought for you to consider. I think cutting round mdf, ply or masonite is tricky.

wgoat5 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 9

not tricky at all if you have the right tools... I just call my local hardware/wood retailer and ask for the sizes I need... they have them ready and if I am lucky and they do them out of scrap wood they just charge anywhere from .50 to free icon_smile.gif (can't beat that)

Quote by @%username% on %date%