Great Tasting Mmf - Salt Trick!

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 9

I've tried adding salt to my MMF to reduce the sweetness and it tends to leave little salt crystals behind. I've tried dissolving it first, adding it at different stages, etc.

I tried popcorn salt and it worked fine but then I had a hard time finding it in stores--that's when the light bulb finally went off: grind it yourself! (duh!). I used my clean coffee grinder to turn salt into a powder.

My MMF
2 lbs powdered sugar
16oz marshmallows
1 t ground salt
1 T glycerine
1 dram LoRann butter flavor

It tastes like butter cream!

8 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 9

Thanks so much. I've got to make some fondant today and will try this out.

Anything to cut down on the sweetness icon_wink.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 9

a whole dram of lorann, are you sure???

MacsMom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by acookieobsession

a whole dram of lorann, are you sure???

Yep! 1 dram = 1 t and the typical recipe for MMF calls for 2 t flavoring. It comes out perfect with the stronger dram of LoRann icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 9

Wow, I feel like a novice.....I didn;t even know what a 'dram' was. icon_redface.gif

May we use butter emulsion if we don't have the LorAnn oil?

MacsMom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 9

Sure! But I've tried other butter flavorings and nothing is as good as LoRann.

Wilton and Magic Line are not strong enough (I used 2 teaspoons), Schillings doesn't have a very good butter flavor, and CK goes rancid very fast. I once ordered a bottle and it came to me already rancid even though the seal wasn't broken.

I buy twin packs here ($1 per bottle)
http://tinyurl.com/5wre4g

They give a 10% discount to Cake Central members if you type "cakecentral" in the coupon code line, plus they send a $1 off coupon with your order.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 9

Instead of grinding your own salt.. use popcorn salt. It is available at most stores near the popcorn. It dissolves almost instantly. A small container runs between 1 and 3 dollars, and lasts a very long time.

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the tip! I made my first MMF 2 weeks ago and I was not impressed with the flavor... Not even when I added extracts. I knew I needed the oils, but didn't know what flavors/ratios. icon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Phoenix

Instead of grinding your own salt.. use popcorn salt. It is available at most stores near the popcorn. It dissolves almost instantly. A small container runs between 1 and 3 dollars, and lasts a very long time.

Right. That's why I decided to grind my own--I can't find it in my town icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%