Applying To Culinary School

Decorating By TxBlonde Updated 20 Oct 2008 , 2:05am by KitchenWytch

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:39pm
post #31 of 43

Take txkat up on the opportunity. Shoot, if I wasn't states away I would work for her. She's got a great business going and it will give you a better idea to what it's like.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:52pm
post #32 of 43

I applied to LCB in Pasadena, CA but then withdrew my application once I had a chance to review the curriculum. I had signed up for the Baking and Pastry course at a cost of $30,000 for 1 year's education.

After reviewing the course outlines, only about 3 weeks were actually dedicated to cake decorating. And since I've already got 20 plus years experience as a decorator, I thought that spending $30g's on a 3 week refresher of the basics was a bad investment on my part. I had no interest in learning to bake bread, cookies, or almond tortes, so the only real reason I would've gone would be to expand on my existing knowledge of cake decorating. And that was not offered.

You have to weigh what you want out of the education. Like Mike1394 said, there are only so many ways you can do something. Spending $30,000 to learn how to do something in an institutional setting that you can already do on your own cooktop at home, might not make a whole lot of sense to you.

And those career "counselors" are really good at telling you how many "6 figure" incomes are made right out of culinary school, but not so quick to tell you that most graduates are paying $30,000 for a skill that won't even attract a salary equal to the amount of money they are spending for the pretty blue ribbon on their "diploma."

My student loans would've cost me $300 a month once I graduated. And I could expect to net $1875.00 a month at MOST my first 5 years in the business.

Dreams are meant to be big. If you are willing to put out the money to achieve yours, then no amount of money is too great.

Just make sure you're looking into all the possibilities and alternatives before signing the paperwork.

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 10:53pm
post #33 of 43

Here in Australia most people become a Chef by doing an apprenticeship you work 4 days(or nights depending where you are employed) on the job & and spend 1 day at TAFE (which is our technical College I am guessing that is similar to your comunity college) you find out pretty quick whether you like it or not and without spending much cash. My husband is a chef and did it this way he has worked in all types of places from pub kitchens to big fancy hotels and we now own & run our own restaurant.

I don't know if there is something similar over there or not but if there is I would grab it or if you are willing to travel go to a country which has a system in place where you learn on & off the job at the same time.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:01am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Take txkat up on the opportunity. Shoot, if I wasn't states away I would work for her. She's got a great business going and it will give you a better idea to what it's like.

I was thinking the same thing. NC is an awesome place. I was there in the early 80s. I wonder if I could commute icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:25pm
post #35 of 43

I live in central Florida and I am thinking to attend Notter School of Pastry Arts in Orlando,Fl. They have a good 24 weeks program and it is not that expensive plus James Rosselle (3 times food network cake challenge winner) is one of the program's instructor. You can apply for a career training loan through sallie mae to cover the tuition.

My mom is my best teacher, she has been a cake decorator since I was a tiny human being, however I would like to get a more knowledge and have a certificate in Pastry Arts. I am planning a cake biz in the future.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:40pm
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I was thinking the same thing. NC is an awesome place. I was there in the early 80s. I wonder if I could commute icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

Wow, that would be an awesome opportunity! I just moved back to the States myself last month and would love an opportunity like that to present itself (these kinds of offers don't come up everyday)! You should definitely consider taking txkat up on her offer!

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

TxBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxBlonde Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 1:09am
post #37 of 43

Thanks to everyone who posted replies! I really appreciate it. I have decided to go check out Chapel Hill in August and see how I like it. After that then I will make a decision. Any other responses would be great. Thanks again!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBlonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

my son was going to apply to the school here in san fransisco, but his uncle talked him out of it. the law suit was the main reason. he also knew of some people who attended there and are in debt up to their head and they still don't have a job. my son is now going to a community college in hawaii and is getting his associate's in culinary arts for a fraction of what he would have paid at le cordon bleu.

What's the lawsuit over? I'm still unclear. I can't believe they don't have jobs. That makes me pretty nervous. That's a pretty cool idea, going to Hawaii for school. icon_lol.gif Thanks!

i think it was over false information given...but not sure.
my son is going to kapiolani comm. coll. my in-laws are paying for the whole thing!

diane Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:29pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

I just graduated from a pastry program at a community school; the program is accredited by the CIA. I cannot even begin to tell you how pleased I am with my education, and so happy that I didn't have to spend mega bucks by attending CIA or another culinary school. My instructor was a CIA grad, and was so incredible. I worked my butt off to graduate with a 4.0, while being a stay at home mom to my dds, but I actually landed a pastry chef position 5 months before I graduated the program.

Basically what I'm saying is that you don't have to sink yourself in deep to get a great education. Do your homework fully before you take the leap and apply. Even if you take a 2 year program at a community college and then transfer on to a bigger name school, it will give you a start and more perspective. It has been my personal experience that a lot of bakeries won't hire you if you don't have some type of prior bakery/pastry experience or education; you might want to try small cafes that are looking for kitchen help (especially around Christmastime!)

may i ask what the name of the school is??? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

diane Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 11:36pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovy

I live in central Florida and I am thinking to attend Notter School of Pastry Arts in Orlando,Fl. They have a good 24 weeks program and it is not that expensive plus James Rosselle (3 times food network cake challenge winner) is one of the program's instructor. You can apply for a career training loan through sallie mae to cover the tuition.

My mom is my best teacher, she has been a cake decorator since I was a tiny human being, however I would like to get a more knowledge and have a certificate in Pastry Arts. I am planning a cake biz in the future.

i would love to go to that school. i use to live in the panhandle and loved it! how much is the tuition??? icon_wink.gif

Jovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jovy Posted 24 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #41 of 43

the tuition is 20k which I think is reasonable compare to other school and I believe you get a good education

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBlonde

Thanks to everyone who posted replies! I really appreciate it. I have decided to go check out Chapel Hill in August and see how I like it. After that then I will make a decision. Any other responses would be great. Thanks again!

Hi,

I was wondering how you liked Chapel Hill and to see if you came to a decision yet about what to do for school.

KitchenWytch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenWytch Posted 20 Oct 2008 , 2:05am
post #43 of 43

Do your research. I did my research on Culinary Schools in my area
some where Community Colleges and some were the Pricey-Snotty
Culinary Schools.I found out that is you want to know the basics do
the Culinary Arts/Restuarant Management-Community Colleges in my
area had it. The Pricey Snotty ones had more on Catering/Baking.
You can also look at the class schedules that they have online for
thier semesters..look up what books they will be teaching/having
in class and go to thier bookstore.(Tell them your looking) Write down
in a small notebook the title of the class/book name-author some might
come with a study guide get that if you can. Go home..go online and get the books/study guide.You can learn that way..so each semester do the
same thing-get the books-study. I had a friend who could NOT
afford the classes. I told her how to do it another way. icon_smile.gif Along with
helping her out.

I finished the Culinary Arts/Restuarant Managment.
Then went to a less Pricey-Snotty one for the Baking
and Pastry with Catering. I saved lots of money that
way! Just my 2 cents

Hope this helps some one..get me if you need this
to be clearer..Im running on 3 hours of sleep (sick baby)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%