Making Sugar Rubies

Decorating By harrisonsmama Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm by harrisonsmama

harrisonsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all,
I have been requested to make a cake with gold scroll work and rubies. What kind of mold should I use to make rubies??? where do I buy it??? Do I use poured sugar? any help would be much appreciated.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 11

We were just talking about this and the easiest way is to use the crushed melted like Jolly Rancher red candy in a mold. You can do the cooked sugar or isomalt but the learning cuurve is steep.

Go poke around on Lorann oils website--look for gourmet recipes. My favorite is the icicle one. It is hot stuff muy dangerous, takes no hostages. Putting pyrex into micro can be explosive. But I've used that several many times and it's fun but using crushed candy is so much easier!!

Find you a mold and away you go.

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-7-gourmet-recipes.aspx

Icicle recipe is the fifth one down--there's a ton of 'em!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for that web site... I found it quite informative. I wonder if you could make sugar bubbles out of this recipe? Any ideas to inspire us how to do it?

harrisonsmama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 11

You ladies are awesome! thanks so much for once again saving my tush!

harrisonsmama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 11

so i just cruch the candies and melt them in a micro or on the stove top?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 11

I've never made the bubbles. But I mean if you held this at the right temp--not easy to do without a light-- and maybe kneaded it a bit and stuck a straw in there you could mess around. But I know others have recommended using isomalt and I mean if you were doing it for a cake you would need to do much more than mess around. There are directions for this somewhere online.

Bubble buddies anyone?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonsmama

so i just cruch the candies and melt them in a micro or on the stove top?

Crunch, put in mold, put in mild oven for a few. Play with it. Starting with the candy is easy and fun--you could maybe make a mold-ish out of aluminum foil.

Like I'd do a 325 oven for y'know --just check it till it's all melted 5-7 mins or something.

harrisonsmama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 11

so now for another stupid question- where do i get the mold? I am assuming that it needs to be silicone. I have two local shops that i can call- but any internet suggestions?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 11

https://www.lorannoils.com/c-163-hard-candy-molds.aspx

The hexagon mold might be suitable--scroll down a bunch--but you can get for real jewel molds too. Hey I just remembered--I got my hard candy jewel molds at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. And I got a blue slilicone squishy one online maybe from Global Sugar. But all that to say you can get molds like chocolate molds lightweight plastic-y for use with uber hot stuff.

Google and surf--you will find them.

Unless somebody else knows...

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 11

Here's a mold site that has quite a lot of different molds, plus instructions.

www.firstimpressionsmolds.com

harrisonsmama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 11

FYI - I just ordered hard candy molds through getsuckered.com they have fantastic molds!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%