How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By wandapoo75 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm by apetricek

wandapoo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandapoo75 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 4

I've had a customer request this cake that she found, and it has a lot of fondant stuff on it. I've never used fondant before, but I'm not afraid to give it a try. I suggested to her that we substitute some real items, like a small baby bottle and real pacifiers to cut down on the need for so much fondant work. I don't know what to quote her for a price. It appears the bottom portion is regular chocolate buttercream, but all the little doo-dads are not.

Thanks everyone!
LL

3 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 4

Well it all depends on the number of servings and the going rate in your area.
For me I would charge $4.00 per serving, plus the addtional cost of any non-edible extras I had to buy for the cake.
All that fondant work and basketweave is alot of work, so make sure you charge enough and don't under sell your self.
Where are you located? Maybe you can call some local bakeries and see what they would charge, that would give you a better idea of what you should charge.
Good Luck.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:00pm
post #3 of 4

I'd charge $4.50 per serving for the cake part and $100 for all the fondant work.

How many servings do you need to make?

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 4

Hi depending on the size of the cake, I usually charge $2-$3 per person, then add a fondant fee, and also a custom work fee (that would be for all the doo-dads). That cake looks like it would be for about 50-60 people? I would probably charge about $200.00 give or take also depending on the cake flavors and fillings too. I hope that helps....make sure you get paid for all your time and work because that will take a few hours to make....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%