Silver: Writing, Dust And Other Problems!

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm by disneynutbsv

disneynutbsv Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 7

How do I make silver using the wilton dust? I purchased some, but all I've heard is recommendations on using vodka to mix it with. Problem is...the cake is for my friends mom who is a recovering alcoholic. Any ideas of what else I could use? Plus, I thought I had seen a thread, web page or something about writing in silver buttercream (maybe I'm hallucinating, it is still early and I've only had 1/4 cup of coffee), but if anyone has seen that, could you post it here? I checked my favorites and can't find it anywhere!

Its for a 25th anniversary cakeicon_smile.gif
***edited to add: I found it, lol, I guess it took 1/2 a cup of coffee***
Here it is in case anyone else is interested in it:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2039-0-Piping-silver-and-gold.html

***edited again: It says to mix with alcohol!!! Help***

6 replies
lanalei Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 7

My Chef in culinary school told us to use lemon extract if we did not want the alcohol on the cake. Works great, and dries very fast.....happy painting icon_smile.gif

deanwithana Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 7

Hey....thanks for the link above link!!!! Also, any time that I desire not to use alcohol (kids cakes, etc.) I use extract.......believe it or not....it is all in "wording" as there almost as much alcohol or more in extracts than there is in drinking alcohol. They normally recommend vodka or everclear alcohol as it dries quickly due to high alcohol content , however lemon, butter, etc. extract will do the trick as it just makes me feel better to use for kids cakes or for the situation you mention............

butterflywings Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 7

the amount of alcohol you're going to use is so small anyway that it shouldn't be an issue. plus, as it dries the alcohol evaporates (just like when you do any baking or cooking with alcohol based products, as all extracts are just that) so you can't smell it or taste it. but if you are truly concerned, use one of the extracts or lemon juice (though the lemon juice will take longer to dry)

disneynutbsv Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks everyone! Just to make sure, its "Pure" Extracts...correct?

lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 7

The alcohol is mixed with the dust... whether it is vanilla, lemon, vodka, or other extracts... alcohol is alcohol... it will dissipate. It can be used for all cakes... sometimes we allow ourselves to get really paranoid until we have the knowledge before us...

At this moment, I checked my spice cabinet and here is what I found:

Pure Lemon Extract..............(80% alcohol)
Imitation Coconut Extract.....(25% alcohol)
Pure Peppermint Extract.......(89% alcohol)
Grand Marnier (airplane size)(40% alcohol)
Smirnoff Vodka (1/2 pint).....(40% alcohol)
Woodford Reserve(" " ) (40% alcohol)
Pure Homemade Vanilla made from bourbon (liter)(45% alcohol)
*I do not use purchased vanilla... maybe someone could look on their bottle and see how much alcohol is in their purchased bottle.

Which one would you think you would want to use for your silver dust? It is your choice, but the lower the alcohol level might be your best one for children, recovering alcoholics, etc.

disneynutbsv Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 7

Wow! Thanks a lot for posting this, I really appreciate iticon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%