Gumpaste Problems---Help

Decorating By DenaBear07 Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm by jolmk

DenaBear07 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 3

SOS! I need as much input as I can get! I am making a 3D sailboat cake for a little boys birthday for this upcoming Saturday. I was planning on affixing a dowel in the middle of the cake and making the 2 sails out of gumpaste (essentially 2 somewhat large triangles (approximately 7 in. each). I was going to put small holes in the side of the triangles and using hemp to tie onto the dowel.

First Concern: Is this going to support the gumpaste or will it break off. If it will break, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish the same look?

Second: I have problems rollins out large peices of gumpaste without "lines" through it--the ones where it had been rolled into a ball...aka the gumpaste is not smooth enough. I don't think it is a result of using too little vegetable oil, but possibly adding too much..However, if I add less it is too sticky....any suggestions, tips, etc.? icon_smile.gif

Third: Any other general suggestions??

I would greatly appreciate any help, no matter how small you think it is....thanks!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central. One way to eliminate the evidence of the rolled ball is to roll it very thin and fold it in half, the re-roll. Using a pasta machine works very well, too. Keep rolling the gp through on the same seetting until it is very smooth

I am not sure the dried gp will hold up to the ties. I would stick/glue the gumpaste to the dowel, then use the hemp just for show.

jolmk Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 3

Can you try and hide a piece of floral wire in the gumpaste on the edge that will be next to the dowel? Then press the dowel against the edge before you let it dry so you know it has a nice smooth fit. When dry, glue it. Hopefuly the hemp will hide the wire.

Maybe someone else has a another idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%