Terrific New Flavor For Nfsc Recipe

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm by Cookies4kids

Cookies4kids Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:46am
post #1 of 8

Every summer I have people come to tour my gardens and I serve them cookies made with herbs from the garden. The favorite is always the lavendar cookie. This weekend, I have to make 160 fondant covered cookies with the color scheme being purple, and I decided to add the flowers to the NFSC recipe. I took samples to the ladies to try and they were so impressed, so I decided to share it here on CC.

You can use the lavendar buds from your garden or you can purchase food grade buds from grocery stores that sell bulk spices. For the NFSC recipe using 3 cups of flour you need 2-1/2 to 3 tsp. of buds. If dry you need to add a little warm water to rehydrate the flower buds. Pour off any excess water after the buds are softened. Now pulse the flower buds with the sugar called for in the cookie recipe until they are finely chopped. Now proceed with the recipe as usual. The cookies are good just on their own with a subtle lavendar taste. I covered mine with white fondant and painted a sprig of lavendar on each one. I packaged the plain ones in cello bags tied with a purple ribbon. These are a huge favorite served with a glass of lemonade.

7 replies
mgdqueen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 8

Thank you for sharing.

Afterezra Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for posting this. It sounds like a great summer treat.

crystalina1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 8

you should post a photo, those cookies sound beautiful

Alliekat66 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

you should post a photo, those cookies sound beautiful

I agree .......I would love to see them!!!

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 8

lilybird.. Sounds wonderful and beautiful to ! Please post a picture and I would also love to see your gardens ! Thanks for sharing !

cwcopeland Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 8

OK. So I'm not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to edible flowers, but this sounds wonderful! I knew lavender was good in lotions and soaps but didn't know you could eat them. Thanks for sharing.

And I'd like to see a pic too!

Cookies4kids Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am afraid that I am not the brightest when it comes to computer things, so I can't post a picture. One of these days my daughter is going to help me with that, so I can post pics as you all do. I have been taking pictures of everything I do, so someday I will burst on the scene!!!!
Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%