Guitar Shaped Cake

Decorating By SANZ Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm by SANZ

SANZ Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:44am
post #1 of 4

What is the best recipe to use for a cake that needs to be sculpted? I hate to say this but I just use boxed cake mixes for all my cakes but am afraid it might be too moist? Then how or what should I make the handle out of?

3 replies
luelue1971 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 4

I've made 2 guitar cakes both out of doctored cake mixes. One I used the wilton pan and the other I sculpted.

For the handle of the sculpted one I used cake as well. Then I covered the bottom part that would normally be under the neck of the guitar the same color as the board and then decorated the neck as a guitar would be. That way I got the illusion of the neck being up off the board.

I've read where wome have used styrofoam among other things.

Have you tried a search of the galleries? Lots of people describe how they make stuff and that makes it super easy to decide the best way to do about it.

mgdqueen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 4

Because you like to use box mixes, try the White Almond Sour Cream or WASC cake in the recipe section. It's moist but dense and easy to carve. I usually use a more dense cake depending on the shape, but the guitar cuts pretty easily with almost any recipe. Try this though...many people here swear by it!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

SANZ Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for you suggestions. I actually searched on CC and someone suggested using rice krispie treats for the handle. There is a cake store by me that sells the extra large blocks of them. Let you know how it went.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%