Found A Cool Tool!

Decorating By ski Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm by tiggy2

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:03am
post #1 of 17

I found a great tool for cutting styrofoam! It is a little burn tool I got from A.C. Moore. It cost 19.00 and you just plug it in , it heats up (400) then you can do extremely precise cutting on the foam without a huge mess! LOVE IT!

16 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:35am
post #2 of 17

I found a foam cutter but it runs on batteries and I always wonder if it will work cutting thru the paper coated foam. I think it will melt thru the foam with ease but I have a feeling the paper part will be tricky.

Have you tried yours on this? If so, how did it work for you?

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski

I found a great tool for cutting styrofoam! It is a little burn tool I got from A.C. Moore. It cost 19.00 and you just plug it in , it heats up (400) then you can do extremely precise cutting on the foam without a huge mess! LOVE IT!

Could you please tell us on which isle you found this tool?

I was cutting ½â foam board yesterday and at the end I couldnât even feel my thumb! It went numbâ¦.! Not too mention the big mess; I guess my Exacto knife needs a new blade.

ski Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 17

I found this on the isle that sell stryrofoam sheets. It's called StyroCutter Plus. It is electric. I haven't tried it on foam core yet. I don't think it will cut through the board part. I have used a mini blade on my portable jig saw. Not as clean as this tool but does cut through the board.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 17

I was just asking about that tool on another thread. I saw it on the floral isle (with all the floral foam and such)

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 17

You can get a hot knife that will cut through foam board. It looks like an exacto knife but it's electric and gets very hot so be careful.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:22pm
post #7 of 17

Could you post a link to what this gizmo looks like?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

That's the same one I just bought at Michael's last week (I mentioned it in another post). I was lucky enought to have a 40% coupon so it only cost me $10.90! I haven't used it yet, but I've heard from others it makes cutting through foam board as easy as cutting butter.

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 17

The one from Joanne's, tiggy2, sounds great. I hate cutting foamcore. With the coupon it is a great deal!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 17

You all are just great! Now all I have to do is figur out which one to invest in!!

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 17

I got one of those! but its no a knife...its like a gun type. I live right on the border so I got it at an office supply store in Mexico when we were decorating my son's room. We put up clouds, and stuff like that out of foam and painted it.

Also...foam is cheaper in Mexico, so that is why we went there. I think the gun was like $7 dlls.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #14 of 17

Wow, thanks sugar_plum_fairy, I think you just made the decision for me!!! I just love,love,love my Michaels and Joann coupons!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:45am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

Wow, thanks sugar_plum_fairy, I think you just made the decision for me!!! I just love,love,love my Michaels and Joann coupons!!!

You're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif Enjoy!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:46am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

You're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif Enjoy!

tiggy2 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 4:29pm
post #17 of 17

I like the one with knife because it also cuts through the paper backing on the foamcore. Make life so much easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%