Ok, A Very Newbie Question

Decorating By betseylover Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:52am by nefgaby

betseylover Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #1 of 6

hello there! i am very new to all this cake business and I have to say I am very impressed with all the cakes I have seen on the gallery so far! icon_biggrin.gif
I have never really gotten into baking, but since having a baby 10 months ago, I want to learn more about it. I would ideally like to make his first birthday cake!
My question is: does fondant go over icing??? is it a sponge cake, icing on top, then fondant and decorations? or is the fondant the 'icing'?? sorry, I feel like it should be an obvious answer, but I really don't know!!!
Thanks for your time and help!
icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Shola Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:17am
post #2 of 6

Hi and welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif
I joined a few months ago for the same reason and ended making a cake I'm v proud of with alot of help and tips from all the guys here! icon_smile.gif
the best thing to do is do a search in the forums for words like 'fondant' etc and you will get tons of info! The answer to your Q is yes, a thin layer of icing and then fondant on top to help it stick and look smooth icon_smile.gif

Here's a few links that will help;

CC Acronyms:

There is so much more and everyone here is super helpful thumbs_up.gif

Shola
XXX

LeanneW Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:19am
post #3 of 6

That is a good question not an obvious one either.

What you really need is for the fondat to have something to stick to when you place it on the cake. This could be frosting if you like, or you could brush the surface with jelly that has been warmed in the microwave to thin it out.

if you use frosting be sure it doesn't crust before you lay the fondant on. I use a buttercream that doesn't crust.

hope that answered your Q, good luck with your first fondant cake, I'm sure you will find all the instructions and help you need here on CC and don't be afraid to ask more questions.

flowermom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:25am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by betseylover

hello there! i am very new to all this cake business and I have to say I am very impressed with all the cakes I have seen on the gallery so far! icon_biggrin.gif
I have never really gotten into baking, but since having a baby 10 months ago, I want to learn more about it. I would ideally like to make his first birthday cake!
My question is: does fondant go over icing??? is it a sponge cake, icing on top, then fondant and decorations? or is the fondant the 'icing'?? sorry, I feel like it should be an obvious answer, but I really don't know!!!
Thanks for your time and help!
icon_redface.gif

I use a medium thin coat of buttercream, and use thicker fondant about a 1/4", that works better for me. When I put too much buttercream underneath I have tendency to push it too much out and get it all uneven.

If you are really serious about getting into cake decorating, check out sugarshack's DVD's at www.sugaredproductions.com. She has one on how to put fondant on cakes. My cake decorating has improved greatly since I got them!

Welcome to the world of Cake Decorating and to CC!

Sandi

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:33am
post #5 of 6

Some people use more BC under the fondant than others. You will proboaly play with it till you find what you like. I get the best look by using little BC and fondant rolled a little less than 1/4 inch thick. Yu must have a surdy firm cake to hold up under the fondant weight.

Search here on CC for the WASC ( white almond sour cream) recipe and the Durable Cake recipes. both good for fondant cakes.

HTH! and welcome to the passion of caking!

nefgaby Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:52am
post #6 of 6

Hey Betsey, welcome to CC!!! I guess you already got your answer but just wanted to recommend Sharon's (aka SugarShack) DVD FLAWLESS FONDANT, it is amazing! It is everything you ever needed to know about fondant!!!!! icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%