Help, 4 Days And Nothing Is Started!!!!

Decorating By momvarden Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24am by Delynn

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #1 of 5

My husband is air force he works on f16's and his unit is get a new commander and i have been asked to make the cake for 75 people for the change of command ceremony. They just thought to ask me on the 4th and the cake is needed for this thursday the 10th.

They are part of the vermont air national guard. One commander is leaving back to go VT and a new one is coming here to VA.

My thought was to do a out line of VT and of VA on oppsite corners of the cake. than built up two small models of f16 crossing next to each other some how attached to the cake board to make seem as if it were flying from one to the other. I will probably use a heavy duty wire curved and attach to the board under the cake and I will cover the wire with a straw inside the cake, i think. So tell me does anyone have anything for me that would be faster and would make a statement?

I am thinking of using chocolate clay for the planes but i am not sure that it will take the silver air brushing i want to do to it. I am also not sure if it will stay stiff enough to keep the ridged shapes i need?

Any suggestions would be great.

4 replies
justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:20am
post #2 of 5

Sorry I don't have any advice for you but as a formar AF wife (retired) I have you say you cake sounds awsome. Please post a picture of it when done. I would love to see it.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 5

If you need the planes to be stiff I wonder if someone would suggest to add gumpaste to help for stiffness. I know many of us add this to MMF, just not sure if it would work with chocolate clay.

Your idea sounds awesome.

Good Luck & as justgale said, post some pictures.

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 5

I'm no pro...but if you did it out of gumpaste (or even 50/50) shouldn't it be dry by then? I've put my stuff in the oven with the light on when needing it to dry faster...Just make sure to put a sticky on the oven so no one turns it on. icon_smile.gif

We're AF too and I had to do a going away cake for some guys coming back to the states (from Turkey) and one going to italy...so I did an outline of the countries, and silly me, I didn't put my plane together before the day of and had to laminate a pic and put it on a tooth pick. icon_smile.gif It turned out ok...but would have been better with the gp.

Best of luck to you! icon_smile.gif

Keyshia

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:24am
post #5 of 5

If you run short on time, what about making a BC icing transfer of the VT air national guard emblem and the 2 jets (or draw it all on an icing sheet with food color markers if you have them)? Place the emblem in the center with 1 state and 1 jet on either side?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%