White Chocolate Sea Shells?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm by jen1977

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 13

I need to make a bunch of shells for a wedding cake next weekend.
I was going to use white chocolate and molds, but can I paint the chocolate with food coloring and luster dusts?
And if not what else can I use in the molds to make the shells?
Can I press fondant in them and let it dry and then pull them out?
Any advice and tips from anyone who has made sea shells befor will be a great help.
Thank you!

12 replies
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 13

did white chocolate once and painted it w/ luster dust no problem -- use everclear to thin the luster dust.

haven't tried food coloring.

oh, and I marbled mine by mixing white w/ a tiny bit of reg chocolate.

kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 13

Dusting the shells once completed is the best way to go. The color comes out subtelle - much more natural looking.
Also do what Doug said, mix a tiny bit of melted choco into the white, then dust them. - awesomeicon_smile.gif

livingthedream33 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 13

I am making my daughters wedding cake and using chocolate shells. I also mixed white and reg chocolate (marbled) and even added some candy melts with other colors. They turned out great but I had alot of trouble with the luster dust. Anyone have tips on using luster dust on choc.?

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 13

Actually I was planning on using the white candy melts becasue me and chocolate don't get along. So I can I paint on candy melts?

And when I mix in the "brown" chocolate do I grate it first and just stir it and then pour into the molds?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 13

I have a pic of the ones I did in my photos if you want to look. I used a paint brush and dusted on luster dust and pearl dust dry. I had problems with the "paint" (luster dust and everclear) wanting to bead up on the candy and not spread out evenly. I really liked the way they turned out.

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 13

I made my seashell cake with white candy melts and used Luster Dust ... pearl, coral and gold. The pearl was the greatest effect!! A hint (HINT!) of coral pink looks nice. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204674

I just put some of the powder in the luster dust container lid, saturated the brush, tapped off the excess and I could color 3 or 4 shells on one brush's worth of color.

Doug, wish I'd heard of your idea of mixing white and chocolate ... that would look awesome!

kathyg Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #8 of 13

I have done 3 wedding cakes with the marbled seashells. same as Doug, I used white choc and swirled in a tad of milk choc. I used the Ghiradelli (bought from sams) candy coating- melted in microwave on 30 sec intervals. I have some of the pic posted. Also I learned from a candy making class , to not put in refrigerator to speed up the molding process as it causes condensation and it is then had to paint with luster dust. I also used seahorses as the cake topper with some coral made from royal icing since the bride didn't have a cake topper. thumbs_up.gif

psurrette Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #9 of 13

Heres a picture of some I did last year using the white, milk and dark choc.
theres also antoher pic in my photos of white and pink
LL

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #10 of 13

Oh, Paula, those are beautiful!

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #11 of 13

My seashells cakes are a mix.. Depends on what people want and pay for.
Usually white chocolate.. I dont mix with white chocolate cause then it taste like chocolate instead of white..To strange flavor for me. I just paint it with luster dust and you can add lines and define them with the color closest to your cake and then I finish with pearl dust. If I am doing them in fondant I add Tylose and marble some color in them. Or you can use all gumpaste. I usually finish them with pearl dust!
Edna

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 13

Wow those look like real shells!!!

Thank you all, I was worried about painting on the chocolate but if everyone else can do it than I'm sure I can manage.

jen1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 13

I had wonderful results on white chocolate chells using dry dust, but the dust mixed wit heverclear was too bright/dark for me. I used a small, fluffy, swuarish brush and tapped it on dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%