White Chocolate Sea Shells?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm by jen1977

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #1 of 13

I need to make a bunch of shells for a wedding cake next weekend.
I was going to use white chocolate and molds, but can I paint the chocolate with food coloring and luster dusts?
And if not what else can I use in the molds to make the shells?
Can I press fondant in them and let it dry and then pull them out?
Any advice and tips from anyone who has made sea shells befor will be a great help.
Thank you!

12 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:34am
post #2 of 13

did white chocolate once and painted it w/ luster dust no problem -- use everclear to thin the luster dust.

haven't tried food coloring.

oh, and I marbled mine by mixing white w/ a tiny bit of reg chocolate.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #3 of 13

Dusting the shells once completed is the best way to go. The color comes out subtelle - much more natural looking.
Also do what Doug said, mix a tiny bit of melted choco into the white, then dust them. - awesomeicon_smile.gif

livingthedream33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
livingthedream33 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:50am
post #4 of 13

I am making my daughters wedding cake and using chocolate shells. I also mixed white and reg chocolate (marbled) and even added some candy melts with other colors. They turned out great but I had alot of trouble with the luster dust. Anyone have tips on using luster dust on choc.?

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 13

Actually I was planning on using the white candy melts becasue me and chocolate don't get along. So I can I paint on candy melts?

And when I mix in the "brown" chocolate do I grate it first and just stir it and then pour into the molds?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:14am
post #6 of 13

I have a pic of the ones I did in my photos if you want to look. I used a paint brush and dusted on luster dust and pearl dust dry. I had problems with the "paint" (luster dust and everclear) wanting to bead up on the candy and not spread out evenly. I really liked the way they turned out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #7 of 13

I made my seashell cake with white candy melts and used Luster Dust ... pearl, coral and gold. The pearl was the greatest effect!! A hint (HINT!) of coral pink looks nice. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204674

I just put some of the powder in the luster dust container lid, saturated the brush, tapped off the excess and I could color 3 or 4 shells on one brush's worth of color.

Doug, wish I'd heard of your idea of mixing white and chocolate ... that would look awesome!

kathyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyg Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #8 of 13

I have done 3 wedding cakes with the marbled seashells. same as Doug, I used white choc and swirled in a tad of milk choc. I used the Ghiradelli (bought from sams) candy coating- melted in microwave on 30 sec intervals. I have some of the pic posted. Also I learned from a candy making class , to not put in refrigerator to speed up the molding process as it causes condensation and it is then had to paint with luster dust. I also used seahorses as the cake topper with some coral made from royal icing since the bride didn't have a cake topper. thumbs_up.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:39am
post #9 of 13

Heres a picture of some I did last year using the white, milk and dark choc.
theres also antoher pic in my photos of white and pink
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #10 of 13

Oh, Paula, those are beautiful!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #11 of 13

My seashells cakes are a mix.. Depends on what people want and pay for.
Usually white chocolate.. I dont mix with white chocolate cause then it taste like chocolate instead of white..To strange flavor for me. I just paint it with luster dust and you can add lines and define them with the color closest to your cake and then I finish with pearl dust. If I am doing them in fondant I add Tylose and marble some color in them. Or you can use all gumpaste. I usually finish them with pearl dust!
Edna

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 13

Wow those look like real shells!!!

Thank you all, I was worried about painting on the chocolate but if everyone else can do it than I'm sure I can manage.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 13

I had wonderful results on white chocolate chells using dry dust, but the dust mixed wit heverclear was too bright/dark for me. I used a small, fluffy, swuarish brush and tapped it on dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%