What Is It With Shoes? Educate Me, Plz!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm by butterflywings

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:45am
post #31 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I never could find good heels in my size anyhow...I probably would have had to order from a catalog for drag queens.

This made me laugh!!! I joke about this all the time. I am a 10 wide and finding great heels is a pain (pun intended!!), but DH loves it when I wear them!!

I think the shoe thing on cakes is just a girl thing -- just like tools on a cake is a guy thing. I'm with the others that I would be much more excited over a shoe cake than a traditional cake with flowers.

Now, a purse cake...that would be fabulous! I am a purse girl. A big giant Coach bag would make my birthday quite happy!

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:02pm
post #32 of 64

I too love shoe and purse cake. I too wear high heals when i can and would much prefer that to some thing with just sugar flowers. Putting a shoe on top of a cakes is just the same as anything else, we do to put on our cakes we. I once done a bus cake but we would'nt eat that.

What is with the crocs anyway they are so ugly. I'm a mum and would never in a million years wear them. But that's peoples taste. If someone put them on a cake some of us would prob say the same thing as about shoes and heels.

X

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:36pm
post #33 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

I'm a shoe addict, but I have definitely never wanted one on a cake. Maybe that's the only way some people can afford the Manolo's? icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with the feathers thing too! No real animal parts on my cake, please!

I could not agree more. I love the challenge of trying to make anything out of sugar et al. Or encouraging and congratulating the triumph of a cake buddy making something crazy like shoes & stuff.

But feathers? ee-ee ghads And anything that you cannot wash, wipe off before using near food or on the food you are serving eww. That's the scary part.

I was at a competition and the girl who won had used real feathers. I didn't come in second or third for that matter icon_eek.gif so no sour grapes--her cake rocked but feathers on a cake shoulda never placed I think.

Indy, so long as nobody's foot's been in there thumbs_up.gif kwim? icon_lol.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:25pm
post #34 of 64

What would be worse than cutting a pregnant baby cake? Making it red velvet and also like a King Cake and putting a plastic baby (like the baby Jesus) in it!

Those gross cakes (toilet, litter boxes, etc) and adult cakes would be weird too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #35 of 64

Like Mary Alice said on Duff's show--like a cake made to look like your beloved pet...then eating an eyeball or something. Or a dog butt agh no thanks I'll pass.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #36 of 64

I have to laugh because in the 70's we owned a brand-name shoe store franchise. So, at our grand opening, we had a size 18 man's sneaker shoe cake made... I have to laugh at the Sex and the City idea... that show had nothing to do with shoe cakes... they have been around for a long, long time. Women have had a love affair with shoes for generations and there have been cakes for many, many centuries which have been "theme cakes". Only with the invention of the internet has this come to become more common knowledge. So... there have been many, many themed cakes over the centuries for the royals, as well as those we affectionately know as "commoners". It is not a new thing.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #37 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

........Women have had a love affair with shoes for generations ..............

I just wanted to say that my m-i-l is one of these women. She has a closet full of shoes, many in their original boxes and I nearly gagged one time (about twenty years ago before her son and I were married) when she was packing for a trip and going through her shoes and telling me what great bargains she got on some of them.....yeah, only $180 because they were on sale!! I buy my shoes at Parade of Shoes and Target. lol I used to love Fayva's before they went out. But then again my m-i-l just loves shoes, in general. She has calendars with shoes, ceramic and capidomonte pieces of shoes and even jewelry. And it's not just plain shoes, but even boots and the ones that are sort of half way between the two, especially the Victorian types.

She's just ga-ga over footwear.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #38 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDoc

Those gross cakes (toilet, litter boxes, etc) and adult cakes would be weird too.

The toilet cake is just too much...I couldn't eat it. But the cat box cake - those are a riot. (I know, makes no sense....poop is poop). We made one and made the kittie logs out of crushed white cookies mixed with icing and blue candies and they were the hit of the party. People kept munching on them.

The flower pot cake is a popular one in my house too but I made one years ago for my daughter and all was well until my uncle put his cigarette out in it........I'm not kidding. icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:23pm
post #39 of 64

I think this is such a funny subject. I don't mind the shoe cakes (haven't done one but don't mind them). BUT as for crocs... see my DH is one that HIDES my ugly shoes... Yes.. he does girls... He HIDES my nice comfortable crocs... AND the slip on's.. ya know.. the ones that look like they should lace up but really don't? He has them stashed somewhere but won't tell me where icon_confused.gif

Ohh and I am a size 10... I hate putting them next to my DH's feet which are a size 9!!!! icon_sad.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #40 of 64

Dang, all you people with tiny feet... icon_wink.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:53pm
post #41 of 64

Um, has anyone done a "Crocs" cake?
icon_biggrin.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:07pm
post #42 of 64

Why do we have to give an explanation why ?

Why the shoe ?
Why the baseball bat ?
Why a Hat ?
Why a box ?
Why a Fish ?
Why a Frog ?
Why a Fairy ?
Why Farm Animals ?

etc.....
why why why ? icon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #43 of 64

because Enquiring Minds want to know! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #44 of 64

Well .. why not icon_lol.gif LOL

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #45 of 64

Well, good luck with the "WHY" thing. icon_cool.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:17pm
post #46 of 64

Everyone who eats roses or other flowers on a regular basis, raise your hand.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #47 of 64

Sugared violets are tasty... icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #48 of 64

ewww we are supposed to eat something other than cake? icon_lol.gif

aliciababcock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciababcock Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:35pm
post #49 of 64

I have worn 4-6" heels since I was 12 years old until this past year (I am 2icon_cool.gif when I started having my arches fall. But, I refused to give up heels for ugly crocs, but I did find some cute wedged ones and heeled ones that are oh so comfy and haven't had a problem since I started wearing them 6 months ago.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:49pm
post #50 of 64

I am one of those people wth a great love of shoes. I probably have sixty or seventy pair at any one time. all in boxes and lined up in the closets. I can no longer wear heels but I still have them hoping someday my knee will let me wear them again. I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Crocs. Way ugly to me JMO. I also have collection of over 375 miniature shoes by Raine called Just The Right Shoe. My avatar is one of them. The lady bug one is special to me because we called my grandaughter our little lady bug for a long time. I have made a shoe box cake complete with a shoe for a friend who also loves shoes. I was so grateful when the tutorial was posted because I had seen so many shoe cakes and wanted to make one really bad.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #51 of 64

indydebi, I think you have your answer. Do you see how this shoe "cake" discussion quickly turned into a "shoe" discussion?

I am not a shoe person myself, about 2 or 3 comfortable pairs is all I need to take me through life, but I've noticed a lot of women, if not most are kind of obsessed with shoes. My two daughters own more pairs of shoes at this moment than I think I've owned in my life. My step mom doesn't call it a shopping trip unless she comes home with a new pair of shoes.

SO, without answering your question, we've answered your question. Women love shoes!! icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:43am
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Why the shoe ?
Why the baseball bat ?
Why a Hat ?
Why a box ?
Why a Fish ?
Why a Frog ?
Why a Fairy ?
Why Farm Animals ?

etc.....

Why ask why?

icon_lol.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #53 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Quote:

Why the shoe ?
Why the baseball bat ?
Why a Hat ?
Why a box ?
Why a Fish ?
Why a Frog ?
Why a Fairy ?
Why Farm Animals ?

etc.....

Why ask why?

icon_lol.gif

Because.

wgoat5 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

Quote:

Why the shoe ?
Why the baseball bat ?
Why a Hat ?
Why a box ?
Why a Fish ?
Why a Frog ?
Why a Fairy ?
Why Farm Animals ?

etc.....

Why ask why?

icon_lol.gif

Because.

Because why? icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:18pm
post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

Quote:

Why the shoe ?
Why the baseball bat ?
Why a Hat ?
Why a box ?
Why a Fish ?
Why a Frog ?
Why a Fairy ?
Why Farm Animals ?

etc.....

Why ask why?

icon_lol.gif

Because.

Because why? icon_lol.gif

Okay, Doug and Christi/wgoat5, go to your rooms now!! Do you hear me? And don't come out until you can act like adults! (Christi, your going to be in there a while. Probably until your kids get home! lol)

That's what you get for sounding like my kids! icon_razz.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:31pm
post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

i know having gumpaste shoes on a cake is a very popular decor but can someone tell me when and why it got started? I can't imagine ever sitting around thinking, "You know what would be cool? A shoe on a cake! Yeah! That's the ticket!" icon_confused.gif

someone educate me, please!!! icon_eek.gif

I dont get it either. I am anti shoe person. I even walked down the isle barefoot (who was gonna see under the gown?) I don't wear shoes all day long, I have a pair of flip flops in the car incase I need to throw on a pair of shoes to go shopping or walk somewhere, and I make people take their shoes off when they come into the house. When I do deliveries, I wear sneakers. I own one pair of heals that I got for special occasions and my DH bought me a pair of um, well, you know...(blush)

Why women want to torture themselves is beyond me and to remind themselves of this torture on a cake is also baffleing to me. I prefer pretty flowers or a bow, or a diamond ring...something PRETTY. 99% of the shoes on Sexandthecity are UGLY.

kimsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimsmom Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #57 of 64

If I stopped and thought about why I do half the things I do. I'd be standing still with a dumb look on my face for most of the day.
And my head would hurt.
Sad but true.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:05pm
post #58 of 64

I don't care what you put on a cake, shoes, crocs, hammers, a belly, butts, poop - I'll eat it!! LOL The first thing I think when I see a cake is when can I eat it?!?!?! icon_lol.gif After you cut it up and throw it on a plate it all looks the same, YUMMY!!!! So I'll take all your red velvet belly's, your king cake babies, your butts and kitty litter poop - I love to eat cake the most!!!

I don't know if I've ever really stopped to think about why someone would put something on a cake or make a cake into a certain shape. I guess I'm just a junk food lover and when I see something that's cake, no matter what shape I think, I have to eat that right now!!

I don't get the whole fountain thing under cakes, I mean, where on earth do you find red, purple or emerald green water? (personally I think that is something that should have stayed in the 70's - 80's icon_lol.gif ) but I guess that's another thread!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Now does anyone have any cake for me to eat?

Brandie

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:14pm
post #59 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

, I mean, where on earth do you find red, purple or emerald green water? (personally I think that is something that should have stayed in the 70's - 80's icon_lol.gif ) but I guess that's another thread!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Brandie

I add a drop of food coloring to my water..grin

And yes, I have LOTS of cake! I just leveled a bunch of cakes and have all these humps...all kinds of flavors, lemon, chocolate chip, banana, carrot, spice, and I even made a white cake this week! Come on over!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 3:19pm
post #60 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bturpin

, I mean, where on earth do you find red, purple or emerald green water? (personally I think that is something that should have stayed in the 70's - 80's icon_lol.gif ) but I guess that's another thread!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Brandie

I add a drop of food coloring to my water..grin

And yes, I have LOTS of cake! I just leveled a bunch of cakes and have all these humps...all kinds of flavors, lemon, chocolate chip, banana, carrot, spice, and I even made a white cake this week! Come on over!

do I see cake balls coming?

spice + carrot
chocolate chip + banana
lemon + white

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%