What Is It With Shoes? Educate Me, Plz!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm by butterflywings

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 64

i know having gumpaste shoes on a cake is a very popular decor but can someone tell me when and why it got started? I can't imagine ever sitting around thinking, "You know what would be cool? A shoe on a cake! Yeah! That's the ticket!" icon_confused.gif

someone educate me, please!!! icon_eek.gif

63 replies
loriana Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 64

OMG I think the same thing sometimes. I guess I could see a "purse" cake too, but can't imagine wanting an edible purse. But the shoe thing cracks me up. For some reason, women want heels on their cakes. Guess that's why sometimes people end up making power tool, measuring tape, and baby crib cakes too. All about the theme, but I guess shoes are kinda weird when you think about it LOL

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #3 of 64

I sort of think it started with the whole "Sex and the City" craze.....Blahniks, they be came an obsession. They are cute and everything but I am not really into shoes. I actually wear Crocs.....try walking barefoot or wearing Crocs and then manipulating your foot into one of those narrow, spike heeled contraptions.....no thank you. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 64

CakeDiva, I used to LIVE in 4" heels....wore them right up thru 8.5 months pregnant!!

A few years and one foot surgery later .... I now wear "mom shoes"!!! flat and comfy!!

(And put that avatar back up there young lady!)

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #5 of 64

LOL...I've thought it too...we wouldn't want to eat anything that a real shoe had touched, why put a fake shoe on a cake? But then again I don't love shoes the way some people do.

CakeDiva, I wear crocs all the time too...maybe we should work on making Cake Crocs...be cuter than the heel thing. I used to wear real shoes and then I broke my foot. I wore Crocs while I was recovering because they were the only things I could cram my poor foot into...and now they're the only shoes that fit right. At least they come in lots of colors...I can color coordinate with my mom t-shirts icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Feathers...that's what I was trying to think of. I've been seeing cakes with feathers on them, and all I can think is who on earth would want to eat something feathers had touched? I have pet birds and I still don't want to eat anything with feathers.

servingzero Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #6 of 64

I still live in 4" heels, well when I'm not at work.
It's girls like me that are the reason for those cakes! I loooove me some sexy shoes! Have too many pairs to count (and if I did... hubby would surely be upset!)
That being said, there's nothing wrong with a cute pair of flats... though I am far from jumping on that Crocs bandwagon. And I detest seeing anyone in them who is not at home, or gardening. Where is you footwear pride?!?! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

twooten173 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #7 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

It's girls like me that are the reason for those cakes! I loooove me some sexy shoes! Have too many pairs to count (and if I did... hubby would surely be upset!)
That being said, there's nothing wrong with a cute pair of flats... though I am far from jumping on that Crocs bandwagon. And I detest seeing anyone in them who is not at home, or gardening. Where is you footwear pride?!?! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

Are you serious?! It's comfort before cute. BTW, I'm going to buy me some crocs tomorrow. I heard they are the most comfortable shoes EVER!

Amia Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #8 of 64

I'm a shoe addict, but I have definitely never wanted one on a cake. Maybe that's the only way some people can afford the Manolo's? icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with the feathers thing too! No real animal parts on my cake, please!

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #9 of 64

Ah, servingzero, I envy you! I MISS my pretty sexy shoes! I had about 20 pair to go with about every outfit.

But I'll stay with my gramma-ugly-comfy shoes now that I've passed that "officially an old lady" line and leave the pretty sexy shoes to the pretty sexy ladies!! thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:20am
post #10 of 64

Do you think it is because we are all into this anything-can-be-made-into-a-cake attitude? I mean, what have we NOT seen made into a cake.

I'm not sure about the high heel shoes because you can't really eat them. You have to make a cake or shoe box cake with them if you want something to serve the guests. icon_lol.gif

Plus, I think everyone wants to do something different for women's cakes instead of the traditional flower covered cake.

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Plus, I think everyone wants to do something different for women's cakes instead of the traditional flower covered cake.

ok, THAT makes some sense to me! thumbs_up.gif

shadowgypsie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #12 of 64

Could always make the shoes out of chocolate. I just recently purchased a candy mold of a 3D ladies pump. Just in case someone wanted a shoe on there cake.

cariage Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #13 of 64

I am obsessed with shoes and purses and so are my 2 daughters. So we think those cakes are adorable. But I can certainly understand people questioning why that would be on a cake. It makes about as much sense as putting a pair of underwear or dirty socks on top of a cake. LOL. and I agree with Kathyscc....I would much rather a shoe or purse instead of buttercream roses or flowers.

danijus Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #14 of 64

I love the shoe cakes. I made one for my moms bday because she is a shoe fanatic. If you open her closet all you see is shoe boxes. She loved her cake and all her friends want one too.

tonedna Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #15 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Quote:

Are you serious?! It's comfort before cute. BTW, I'm going to buy me some crocs tomorrow. I heard they are the most comfortable shoes EVER!

I like comfort and cute...So my heels better fit nicely!
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

aliciaL_77 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:37am
post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

Quote:

AMEN! They are the main shoes I wear. Work, home, - everywhere.

kimsmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #17 of 64

I'd much rather cut into and eat a shoe cake than a pregnant belly cake. ~~Shiver~~ So wrong.

NikkiDoc Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:47am
post #18 of 64

Sexy shoes are nice sometimes, but I have to be practical...with any kind of foot problem you are just doing more damage wearing heels. Crocs are life savers. They ARE the most comfy ever. Not only do you get the support of expensive athletic shoes, but you get a light-as-air shoe that you can find in no other type. I have to say that I love that no-shoes-feeling. It's like going barefoot, yet having the support of a shoe! What could be better than that? icon_rolleyes.gif

twooten173 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:51am
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsmom

I'd much rather cut into and eat a shoe cake than a pregnant belly cake. ~~Shiver~~ So wrong.

ahhhhhhhh good point!

Texas_Rose Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:04am
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDoc

Sexy shoes are nice sometimes, but I have to be practical...with any kind of foot problem you are just doing more damage wearing heels. Crocs are life savers. They ARE the most comfy ever. Not only do you get the support of expensive athletic shoes, but you get a light-as-air shoe that you can find in no other type. I have to say that I love that no-shoes-feeling. It's like going barefoot, yet having the support of a shoe! What could be better than that? icon_rolleyes.gif

Yup, and you can swim in them and toss them in the sink when they get grubby. They're kind of like tires too...they grab the ground and make you less likely to slip. I thought they were kind of icky until I tried them...it was desperation, really, because I had the broken foot and couldn't get any shoe on but I still had to get over to the school twice a day...now I live in the things icon_biggrin.gif

I never could find good heels in my size anyhow...I probably would have had to order from a catalog for drag queens.

EmmyD Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:09am
post #21 of 64

I made one for a little girl and she kept the gumpaste shoe on her shelf as a keepsake.

on a side note, i have my 'typical' crocs which I call my baking shoes because when leaving the house i have a flip flop girl. for work I have what I call my 'work apporpriate' crocs. I have a pair of ballet flats and a pair of nice mary janes. they are life savers. i was having really bad foot problems and they help so much. i love them!

KathysCC Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:46am
post #22 of 64
Quote:

Amen to that and the same for the baby's butt shower cakes. icon_eek.gif There is something too disturbing about cutting into those kinds of cakes. icon_confused.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:13am
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

Amen to that and the same for the baby's butt shower cakes. icon_eek.gif There is something too disturbing about cutting into those kinds of cakes. icon_confused.gif

icon_razz.gif Oh dear God, you guys are killing me! I have never thought of what it must be like to actually cut into the belly or bootie......heavens. Are we hoping it's not a red velvet cake? icon_lol.gif

I can't wait until I bake again since I usually stand barefoot and by the end of the night, my dogs are barking so loud even the neighbors can hear them. I am thinking these will give me some much needed support. I just got them a couple of nights ago. Up until then I was a flip-flop gal.

Now I'm a total convert.....the only vital err in judgement I made was letting my little ones put those decorative snap thingies on them. Once my 14 year old son saw them, he said I had ruined them and his friend agreed, so I took them off, lol.

I'll never be cool no matter how hard I try! icon_cry.gif

kansaswolf Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:56am
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I never could find good heels in my size anyhow...I probably would have had to order from a catalog for drag queens.

I feel your pain there! I was SOOO lucky to find a nice pair of heels for my wedding, but I don't find them often! When I do, I usually have to go with sandal-type, because those aren't so noticable if they're a LITTLE small (i.e. toes or heels can be close to/over the edge a tad and it's not a horrible look)... My cousin went to San Francisco a while back, and tried to send me a catalog from a store for drag queens... Heh... I wear a size 13, BTW...

I never really thought about the shoe cake thing being odd, I actually considered it for my DD's princess party. Cinderella, anyone? icon_biggrin.gif But the PP's DID make me giggle! icon_lol.gif

murf Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:27am
post #25 of 64

Morning all,
Going completely off the original subject!! - I'm in the "I love Crocs" camp. Can't do heels at all. Think it comes from when I was a police officer and had to walk 8 miles a day!! So yes, Crocs and flip flpos for me. On a funny note, I bought my mum some Crocs after I raved about how great they were. She put them on, said "ooooohh there's funny knobbly bits under my feet" and the next day went and got some insoles for them!!! Sooooo not getting it.................

And for the record, yes the pregnant belly cake makes make me whince a bit too.........

MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:58am
post #26 of 64

My Mum bought me a pair of traditional style Crocs (in fuschia!), and while they are very comfortable to wear, they are incredibly ugly IMO (or 'gopping' as my friend calls them!). I think I'm going to splash out on a pair of the Mary Jane style in a more muted colour, or the new canvas combination - both of those are a little prettier!

LadyMike Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:37am
post #27 of 64

I understand the need for very large, comfy shoes. I wear size 12 or 13D shoes, and it's really hard to find something that looks good and is comfortable in those sizes. icon_sad.gif I did the "heel" thing for a while when I was younger. I saw the error of my ways, and switched to some more comfortable shoes. icon_wink.gif

I haven't seen Crocs in these larger sizes so I really can't comment on those, but I have 2 pairs of Birks and they are wonderful. thumbs_up.gif It takes a while to get used to them, but once you do, they feel great. I've tried to get my DH and DD's to try them, but no luck. I don't know if we could find them in my DH's size anyway - he wears 14's! icon_eek.gif

BTW - I agree about the shoe thing, the belly thing, and the baby bottom thing. It's just not right! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:49am
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

My Mum bought me a pair of traditional style Crocs (in fuschia!), and while they are very comfortable to wear, they are incredibly ugly IMO (or 'gopping' as my friend calls them!). I think I'm going to splash out on a pair of the Mary Jane style in a more muted colour, or the new canvas combination - both of those are a little prettier!

LOL. The first time I ever saw those shoes (Crocs), I swore to myself that I'd never wear them. Of course I now have two pairs. They're the traditional (I guess is the right word) ones. My only problem is that my feet are in between sizes and they only make the whole sizes (at least that I've ever seen) so I have two different sizes and the smaller ones wouldn't be so bad except that after three kids I have a wide foot and they make the tops of my feet sweat, and the larger size are a bit too big all around. Urrgghhhh! icon_mad.gif

Guess I've gotta start looking for other Croc styles.

As for shoes on cakes, after seeing some other things that are put onto cakes, even if made from fondant and/or gp, the shoes don't bother me. I'd rather have a beautiful shoe than a hammer and assorted tools or animals or certain plants, flowers, "dirt" etc. (Doesn't stop me from eating the cakes, but I'm just comparing).

Mike1394 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:56am
post #29 of 64

As a "whole" people have no clue. They have no creativity at all. They see a pair of shoes, and think wow thta's cool. It just ballons from there.

Mike

mgdqueen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:42am
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMike

I understand the need for very large, comfy shoes. I wear size 12 or 13D shoes, and it's really hard to find something that looks good and is comfortable in those sizes. icon_sad.gif I did the "heel" thing for a while when I was younger. I saw the error of my ways, and switched to some more comfortable shoes. icon_wink.gif

I haven't seen Crocs in these larger sizes so I really can't comment on those, but I have 2 pairs of Birks and they are wonderful. thumbs_up.gif It takes a while to get used to them, but once you do, they feel great. I've tried to get my DH and DD's to try them, but no luck. I don't know if we could find them in my DH's size anyway - he wears 14's! icon_eek.gif

BTW - I agree about the shoe thing, the belly thing, and the baby bottom thing. It's just not right! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

I wear size 12-used to wear lots of heels and I'm 6'0"! I finally wore out my Birks after 10 years and switched to Crocs under protest...at first. Now I have 3 pairs in different colors and will be getting more by next week. I LOVE them-my oldest daughter still thinks they are dorky but the younger kids love them too...especially the Disney, NASCAR, etc. versions.

I have done a shoe on a cake in my photos, but the birthday "girl" was such a diva she was crazy about it. For me it was just jumping on the bandwagon to try it once. thumbs_up.gif Now I never need to make another one unless it is requested! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%