Does Anyone Here Do 3/4 Sheetcakes?

Business By littlecake Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm by littlecake

littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 9

i'm thinking of adding them, it seems like when i ask em "how many people are you serving?"...they say 50 a lot.

i do 1/2 sheets in mass....so i cut them up , or stick them together to suit what they need.

now remember, i'm a natural blonde before ya laugh..... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

how do ya'll stick the 1/4 to the half....on the end...to make a really long rectangle or do ya cut the 1/4 in half and make it more square....?

(i don't EVEN wanna think about the 1/3rd sheet)

i shoulda been paying more attention in math class...who knew i would need it later? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

8 replies
blue123 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:58am
post #2 of 9

I only offer the 1/4 and 1/2 sheet cakes. When they say that 50 servings is a lot, I remind them of the option to do a 1/2 sheet half one flavor and half another. People will want a little of both, and you make more profit. It's too much work to offer another option (3/4 sheet). It's about the same work as a 1/2 sheet, but less profit for us. As far as construction, I only use the 1/4 sheet pan and the 1/2 sheet pan (12x1icon_cool.gif for the cakes. The only time I put 2 cakes together, is when I make a full sheet. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif .

Lisa

lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #3 of 9

Make sure you are all using the same description for 1/2 sheets. Some people think that a 12 x 18 is a half sheet cake, while others think it is a 11 x 15, but some think that 11 x 15 is a 1/3 sheet cake(which is supposed to serve 30 to 40).

littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:56am
post #4 of 9

well, when i bake, i use the half sheet pans and collars i got at the restuarant supply store , cut em in half for 1/4...and stick 2 together for full....

i remember one of the bakeries i worked at about 10 years ago, offered 3/4, and 1/3 sheets too....we baked the cakes in a full sheet pan there...and cut them as needed, for the life of me i don't remember how they cut them

indydebi Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:57am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Make sure you are all using the same description for 1/2 sheets. Some people think that a 12 x 18 is a half sheet cake, while others think it is a 11 x 15, but some think that 11 x 15 is a 1/3 sheet cake(which is supposed to serve 30 to 40).

Which is EXACTLY why I refuse to acknowledge the terms. As mentioned above, many believe a 12x18 is a half, but walmart labels their 11x15's as half's.

I had one guy ask for a price on a half sheet ... I asked "for how many people?" .... he said, "Ten". TEN????? icon_eek.gif When people ask for these, they have no freakin' idea what they're asking for ... they're just using the "lingo". A lot of folks I know call any sheet cake ... regardless of size ... "a half sheet". icon_confused.gif

So .... they ask for a half sheet .... I ask how many people ... they tell me ... then I tell THEM what size cake they need.

(What would you call my 14x22 pan? icon_confused.gif )

ALso remember the terms came from the commercial bakeries who had these BIG honkin' pans that they actually DID cut into half's and quarter's, and thus the terms were born. So unless you have those big honkin' pans.......?

littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:52am
post #6 of 9

every time they call to order a full sheet...i ask em "how many are you serving?"....they sometimes say 15-20...they think a full is a 1/4

i guess i'm not asking what terms to use, i want to make a cake between the size i call 1/2 and a full...i'm just trying to figure out the best way to cut it....maybe i'll go to the bakery's website i used to work for and see what the chart says...DUH...why didn't i think of that in the first place?

i got a bunch of those "big honkin" full sheet pans i could use....but the 1/2's are easier to handle.

littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:53am
post #7 of 9

i would think the pans i bought at the bakery supply store would be industry standard...i guess i should measure them , huh?

sweetcakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #8 of 9

at the bakery i work at they will bake a 16" square for a 3/4 sheet or if its last minute order they cut a 16" square from a full sheet (16x24) which then leaves a 1/3 sheet

littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 9

thanks sweetcakes!...after doing the math thats roughly what i came up with too....

i really hated feeling like they were getting shorted, and many times they didn't wanna go all the way up to a full sheet....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%