Crumb Coating

Decorating By Dannie Updated 12 Aug 2005 , 1:48am by Dannie

Dannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dannie Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

Can someone please point me to the post on crumb coating?? I know I've seen it in one of the forums. I was doing a cake tonight and as Im icing, the dumb thing kept falling apart!!

Also, I think I may know the answer to this one but Im asking anyways. I made a batch of buttercream icing in my KA and was getting ready to ice my cake and it was then that I looked at the clock. It was time to pick my daughter up from cheerleading. i threw a towel over the KA and left. I was probably gone for 'ol about an hour. --That was too long to leave it out, wasn't it? Anything I could have done to save it???

Thanks for everything!

-The Rookie

6 replies
SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:34am
post #2 of 7

If you made just regular buttercream, then it is just fine. If it can sit on a cake for a couple of days, then it can deffinitaly sit on your counter for an hour. It's safe. thumbs_up.gif

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

Some people do a simple syrup which is a sugar/water mixture that's thick ... they brush this over their cakes to seal in the moisture and crumbs .. others just use a thin layer of buttercream then let it set for about 10-20 minutes letting it form a light crust .. then apply the second coat of icing .. either way you choose will be fine ..

also, your icing should be ok w/the cover you had over it.. icon_smile.gif

Dannie Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:40am
post #4 of 7

Is that the regular sugar or confectioners sugar?

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:41am
post #5 of 7

If you still want to read about crumb coating, I found this.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4514.html

Hope it helps.

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:42am
post #6 of 7

It is still safe to use I usually make mine and leave in a plastic bowl with a lid the night before I decorate. I use the same icing for crumb coating as well. I did not know there was a different recipe for it. I would want to see it too.

My old friend the bakery owner, told me she just adds a little water to the buttercream to thin is a little and uses that for her crumb coating and hers always looks good.

Dannie Posted 12 Aug 2005 , 1:48am
post #7 of 7

Ya'll are pure genius! And I AM NOT! What an idiot! Here's a rookie joke for ya. i just took my first wilton class on Monday so I was WAAAAY excited about making a cake with my new found knowlege (which was prtty much just the buttrcream icing cuz that's what we learned) I just got too excited and I made the STIFF CONSISTNCY icing!!!! Im such a dork! No wonder the darn cake was falling apart everywhere!!! I wa thinking I was going to need way more than 3 wilton courses to get this cake stuff down!!!! Well, lesson #1 learned!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%