Will This Work For A Cake Dummy

Decorating By maude Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm by maude

maude Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 5

I had never heard of a cake dummies before finding CC. I bought craft foam from the fabric store that I thought I would cut 4" high and different sizes such as 10" 8" etc. Is this the right material to use and do I cover it with saran wrap first. I don't have many cakes for a portfolio and thought this would be the least expensive way to develop them. Will the BC icing stick to the saran wrap ok. Thanks in advance

4 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure what kind of foam you are talking about but (and here's hoping I can format this so it shows up)....

w w w . d a l l a s - f o a m . c o m (without the spaces) is the best place to get some. No cutting or mess to clean up and they are definitely reuseable. I put my BC right on the styro ... it dries really hard. When I want to change it, I just run a knife under it and it pops right off.

weirkd Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

I agree with debi. You dont want to use the foam that they use for upostery because first of all it wont stay firm so you cant stack a cake on it without the bottom smoothing. Also, its poreous which means mold. So unless you want a great science project for your kids, dont do it!
Dallas foam is very cheap on their dummies. Usually takes about a week to get them. If you have to have them asap, Allan at Global Sugar Art also sells them.
Hopes this helps! Cant wait to see the masterpiece!

BlakesCakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #4 of 5

Yes, you can use the green or white floral foam (not the powdery Oasis stuff, though) for dummies. I prefer it to the usual pebble foam. You can cut it with a serrated knife or with a hot styrofoam cutter. You can smooth it nicely with a scrap piece of itself.

I buy the sheets of 36x12x4 from JoAnn.com when they have free shipping.

I don't cover my dummies before putting on fondant (wrinkles in coverings are magnified in the fondant). I spritz the dummy with water and apply the fondant. Make sure that your top edges are smoothed either with a piece of the scrap styro or with an emery board/fine grit sandpaper. Also, smooth out any other imperfections and if you have any large holes, fill those with royal icing and let it dry before putting on the fondant.

HTH
Rae

maude Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%