Kudos To Great Ideas! Vinyl From Wal-Mart!

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:04am by 4laynes

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 6

There was a thread on here (I will try to attach) that suggested that instead of using vinyl from Wal-Mart instead of Wilton's Roll and Cut mat. I bought some today and worked this afternoon on gumpaste roses using the vinyl as a work surface. Let me tell you that it works AWESOME!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

I used a lot less cornstarch and shortening and had absolutely so problems with it sticking. That is a great idea and extremely cheap!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-593957-0-days0-orderasc-.html

5 replies
Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 6

What kind of vinyl???

oops...just saw the link icon_redface.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 6

Another good disposable alternative is Reynold's freezer paper. You can roll out fondant on the plastic side, doesn't stick. Can also cover cake boards with it. No mess. I hate washing that mat!

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #4 of 6

i was just thinking what i can use instead of my wilton fondant mat. the one thing that really p'd me off was how it rolls back on me while i'm trying to roll. I guess i could have taped it down (hindsite being 20/20) but still.... talk about a pita! Thanks for the idea!!!!
ruby

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #5 of 6

I just sprayed a little water under it when I laid it down and it stayed in place. There are several different thicknesses of the vinyl and I got the one that has blue paper - it wasn't the thinest, but the one just thicker than that.

When I was done, I just cleaned it off, dried both side and rolled it up. I also got a piece to 2" pvc to use as a rolling pin and I stored the vinyl inside of it. Works great! Regarding the pvc, you can buy a 2" length so I didn't even have to get my hubby to cut it for me. icon_biggrin.gif

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #6 of 6

I looked at my Wal-Mart today and there was no vinyl in the fabrics. I'll try a bigger store another day. icon_cry.gif

BUT....I was looking at the different contact papers/shelf liners and there is one that is heavy plastic and has little ridges in it. PERFECT for getting a great texture on loopy fondant bows. The picture on the package showed it covering those white wire shelves you use to organize things in your cabinets. I didn't buy it, but I know where to find it when I need it! icon_biggrin.gif

Bev

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%