Sheet Cake Questions

Business By Homemade-Goodies Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm by milissasmom

Homemade-Goodies Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 6

My baking pan size for 1/4 sheet cake is 8"x12" (21x30cm), 2" (5cm) deep. I usually make one batch of Magnolia Bakery Cupcake recipe (for example), split this and add filling or frosting. I consider serving slices 1.25"x2.75" (3x7cm), which for my pan size gives me 30 servings 2" (5cm) deep.

If I double the cake, I place the filling or frosting between the 2 cakes, and do not torte further, same serving dimensions, only deeper: approx 4" (10cm).

My particular problem is that I am stumped for how to price these. If I charge 2.00 a slice...which is fairer? The single batch, or double? How do I accommodate for the larger cake in pricing?

I tend to think that the single batch is the fairer in price - what do you guys think? This same batter makes 2-9" rounds, according to different pricing matrixes, this is enough for about 25 slices.

I appreciate anyone's help on this....I'm really stuck!! Thanks!!

5 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:11am
post #2 of 6

Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

cakedout Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 6

My double-layer sheet cakes are priced the same as my wedding cake prices... $3.50.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

Each tier of your wedding cake is about 4" then? Do you only have the filling between the 2 cakes making up the tier, or do you torte each cake as well?

I'm just trying to be fair to a customer, don't want to be chintzy, just because I might not know....

I do appreciate your help! icon_biggrin.gif

AllCakedOut Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 6

Dunno if this helps, but *every* cake I do I torted - 4", 4 layers cake, 3 filling. Wedding cake, birthday cake, "sheet" cake.. doesn't matter. All torted, all priced with the same base price.

I don't want to fuss with explaining why this cake is more because it's torted, but if you order a plain untorted sheet, it's cheaper (UGH!).. plus I never, ever want to be responsible for one of those monumentally tacky displays of cheapness.. small wedding cake (all fully torted), then nasty sheet cake for some guests.

If a bride wants sheet cake alongside her wedding cake from me, that's fine.. but it costs the same, and NO ONE will know it's sheet cake.

milissasmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 6

All my cakes are torted as well...4 inch cake, split, filled and stacked...split cake, filling,cake, frosting, split cake, filling...I don't waiver from it. If it is a sheet cake, it is still torted and filled. It's just easier for me to do all mine the same way every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%