Help I'm Being Attacked By Silver Twist Ties!

Baking By McMama Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm by linedancer

McMama Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 16

I probably have a thousand of those little silver twist ties that come in the packages of cookie bags. icon_eek.gif Does anybody need these? I just feel bad throwing them away. I don't use them. I would be happy to mail these to you for free - REALLY! icon_smile.gif Just wanting to do my part to reduce, reuse, recycle.

15 replies
Peeverly Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 16

You are so funny!!!! I have them too. I have thrown out most of them (I know, reuse and recycle but there are just to darn many of them). In fact, one day I went to look for one to use on a plastic baggie and I could find not a one. See, I should have kept them all like you have. I'll start saving them and mail them out too if anyone is interested...... icon_biggrin.gif

Susan

Peeverly Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 16

You are so funny!!!! I have them too. I have thrown out most of them (I know, reuse and recycle but there are just to darn many of them). In fact, one day I went to look for one to use on a plastic baggie and I could find not a one. See, I should have kept them all like you have. I'll start saving them and mail them out too if anyone is interested...... icon_biggrin.gif

Susan

Afterezra Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 16

I'd be happy to take them off your hands. They'll come in handy for a vacation bible school craft. The thought of purchasing them was killing my inner cheapskate. icon_lol.gif I'll PM you my address.

Thanks!!!

deetmar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 16

My nane is Marilyn, and I am a pack-rat. I have been keeping mine, just in case. When I am ready to part with them, I will contact you and let you have mine too.

lisa78332 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 16

I work for Head Start and would love those to make books!!!! pm me and i'll give you my address.

Thanks

arosstx Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 16

I always need twist ties! I used them to twist tie my piping bags shut so the bc doesn't come out the end! I overfill them on purpose, twist tie, then twist the bag and hold it in my hand about 3" from the tip (like if it were only filled a little bit). The "extra" bc is now in the bag, so I can push some down as I run low. Keeps me from having to refill the bag, yes I'm lazy...hence the need for twist ties!

I'll pm you on the off chance you haven't already sent them off!

linedancer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:39am
post #8 of 16

I don't buy the bags with the silver twist tie anymore. I buy mine from Uline. They are inexpensive compared to what you get in the hobby stores. You do have to buy a thousand, but I am using them quickly. I got the 2 mil, but I think next time I will get 1 mil. The 2 mil is a little heavy, when you seal with a sealer, it is hard to tear into them. To find them on Uline, search for 4 x 6" 1 Mil Poly Bags, they are on sale for $9 a box right now. They also have other sizes. They are food safe, try them you will like them, and no more silver twist ties icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:40am
post #9 of 16

I don't buy the bags with the silver twist tie anymore. I buy mine from Uline. They are inexpensive compared to what you get in the hobby stores. You do have to buy a thousand, but I am using them quickly. I got the 2 mil, but I think next time I will get 1 mil. The 2 mil is a little heavy, when you seal with a sealer, it is hard to tear into them. To find them on Uline, search for 4 x 6" 1 Mil Poly Bags, they are on sale for $9 a box right now. They also have other sizes. They are food safe, try them you will like them, and no more silver twist ties icon_smile.gif

Newatdecorating Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks Linedancer! I just ordered some of the bags from Uline. Great deal at $9. Came out to be $17.79 for the entire order. Cheaper than what I had been paying at the craft/hobby store and that was either half price or 40% off.

PattyT Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 16

Linedancer - when you say you seal with a sealer, do you use the heat seal line of a vacuum food saver??

linedancer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 16

PattyT - Yes, that is what I do since I already had a food saver. I can't let it seal as long as the instructions say, it is too hot, so I just let it go for about 3 seconds, and it works fine.

Newatdecorating - You are welcome, I hope you like them. I really like ordering them in bulk too, I was always running to the store with my coupon to get bags thumbs_up.gif

Sorry about the double post, don't know what I did???

McMama Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #13 of 16

Wow! Guess I'm not the only one with lots of these little ties. I have already sent mine out to another CC member, but I will keep you posted if I have more, although I am thinking about buying from Uline - thanks linedancer!

PattyT Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:27pm
post #14 of 16

That's a great tip - I have a food saver too. One more use for it.

penguinprincess Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 16

Yes-- thank you for the tip! I never use my food saver anymore! Now i will have to break it wout-- now that you have given me a new purpose for it! thank you!

linedancer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 16

You are welcome, I think it probably takes a little longer than if you had just a sealer, but hey, as you say, it was sitting around doing nothing icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%