Disaster Averted!

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 1:52am by CakesByJen2

CakesByJen2 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 10

I just have to share my experience last week, that could have gone so bad, but didn't , thanks to people who went above and beyond. It was my in-laws 50th aniversary and they didn't want a party, but I decided they had to at least have a nice cake and a family dinner. So I made a nice, small 3-tiered cake (9,7-5) with gold accents, gumpaste dendrobium orchids, stephanotis, and filigree butterflies. I was concerned about the 4-1/2 hour drive with the heat and humidity, but took a picture before we left and hoped for the best.

Well, about 1-1/2 hours into our trip, we had a flat. No problem, unloaded the back an hubby changed it quickly and we were on our way, or so we thought. The spare was also flat! I'm starting to panic imagining the cake melting into a gooey heap while we waited for help. Hubby called AAA, and they were taking forever to figure out where we were and who their closest people were. In the meantime, a police officer stops to help, and calls it in and gets the tow truck on the way. He offers to take me, the kids, and the cake in his car to the repair shop while hubby waits for the tow. When we get to the shop, instead of just dropping us off, he goes in and asks them if they have a fridge for the cake. They were very nice and quickly cleared out room and re-arranged shelves for the cake. We got two new tired and were on oour way, but I was afraid to look at the cake until we got there. I held my breath as I opened the boxes, and the bottom two tiers were in near perfect condition and the only "damage" was the icing had started pulling away from the back of the top tier, but I was able to simply press it back.

I was so touched that the police officer and the mechanics were so thoughtful. My in-laws loved the cake, and the story that went with it. How many couples can say their cake took a ride in a police car?

9 replies
McMama Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 10

Great story Jen. My family also owns a repair shop and I know they would do the same, but you'd have to watch the mechanics - they would so want to eat that cake!

butterflywings Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:04am
post #3 of 10

what a great story! so where's the picture of the cake? LOL

poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 10

What a great story - let's see the cake icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByJen2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #5 of 10

Sorry, I tried to post the pic with the original post, but my file was too big and I didn't have any good photo-editing software on my new computer yet. Then I had visiting relatives and didn't have a chance to get to it until now....

foxymomma521 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #6 of 10

Sounds like you need to send those helpful people some cookies icon_biggrin.gif
Your cake is beautiful, and I'm happy to hear it made it thumbs_up.gif

laynie72 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:29am
post #7 of 10

love to hear a good story! your cake is very pretty.
I agree they do deserve cookies icon_biggrin.gif

jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #8 of 10

jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 10

CakesByJen2 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 1:52am
post #10 of 10
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

Sounds like you need to send those helpful people some cookies icon_biggrin.gif
Your cake is beautiful, and I'm happy to hear it made it thumbs_up.gif

I sent the sheriff's dept. and the repair shop each 2 dozen triple choc. chip & 2 doz. oatmeal raisin cookies, with a "Thank You" letter. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%