Cake Love

Baking By beamom Updated 20 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm by sistaworkin

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 1:34am
post #31 of 37

I have not tried anything at Cake Love. However I do love his vanilla pound cake recipe. I did not like the chocolate pound cake recipe. I also liked his lemon cake recipe.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #32 of 37

I tried one of his recipes I found online after seeing him baking the cake on TV. It was totally horrible, absolutely flavourless and uninteresting.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 11:58am
post #33 of 37

Wow! I bought his book on a whim and then I researched it here. Sounds like that was a mistake. I wonder why his business is so successful?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 12:18pm
post #34 of 37

Years ago when he first opened I had a good friend who lived near his shop. She would go down there and bring goodies when she would visit me in VA Beach. Anyway, I went with her a couple of times when I went to visit her and he had a great personality, contrary to what showed on Food Network. He was personable and as others have mentioned, his story is a great one and you know everyone always loves a good story attached to something. I wasn't that impressed with the food but people were sure lining up and trying just about everything. Moira always said he'd make her wedding cake, unfortunately she passed away on a vacation to Costa Rico and never got the chance. Anyway, she and all her other friends in the area just loved him.
I did get a chance to see him at a bookstore in Fairfax and he was still bubbly personality guy.
BTW it's getting rave reviews on Amazon.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #35 of 37

I will check out the reviews on Amazon. Everyone has their own tastes. Frankly I am looking for a less light and fluffy mix and a more dense and coarse crumb texture but still moist. I think using butter must be less moist than oil. Maybe I can do some substitutions.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 4:02pm
post #36 of 37

Just a question, How many of you have the number of shops that he has, have been published, and are as successful as he is?

We can all be critics of others, but instead why not wish all (especially a fellow caker) good luck?

I would LOVE to be that successful!!!!

There's far too much cake or cupcakes out there and money to be made for us all without being so negative.

So, if you're not in to what he's doing that's you're right.

God still loves you icon_wink.gif

cakeymom

sistaworkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistaworkin Posted 20 Jul 2008 , 12:08pm
post #37 of 37

Hi Everyone,

I was so excited when I saw the first post because I just purchased the book and was interested in doing one of the recipes. I'm not a big fan of pound cakes but I was interested in making one and seeing how I can make it lighter. I didn't expect the reactions I read but we all have our own opinions.

The reverse creaming method is really easy and I use it often to make my cakes.

Happy baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%