Smbc: Unsalted Or Salted Butter? Margarine?

Baking By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 5:38pm by robbynjaye

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 12

I am tempted to give SMBC another try and wanted to ask if you guys use unsalted or salted butter only, a combo of both? have any of you tried it with margarine?

I ask this because butter is SO expensive here. like the price of 1 stick is equal to the price of 2 to 3 sticks of margarine. the unsalted butter is even WAY more expensive maybe. So please let me know. as I haven't had much luck with it in the past I really don't wanna spend a lot of money and not get it right.

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
Malakin Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 12

I have done all of them. The salted gives a little less sweeter taste, the unsalted is good. As far as the margarine....I have used it for family and freebies, but definitely not in hot weather. It has a very high water content instead of fat like the real butter. But it still tastes great!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #3 of 12

wow. thanks! i will definitely keep that in mind. icon_smile.gif have a good week!

KoryAK Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 12

As far as I know, margarine won't work. The salted butter makes for a pretty (nasty) salted buttercream with that recipe. So, sorry to your pocketbook, but its unsalted butter all the way. Can you try getting it thru a wholesaler to make it cheaper? I know I'm paying less than $2/# that way, and I'm in Alaska.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:42am
post #5 of 12

i have no idea where to get wholesale butter. i'm in a little town in the philippines and we only have one cake supply store. i have to rely on groceries that don't stock things like butter. i remember last christmas season there was no butter and or cheese in the whole city. it was ridiculous.

so... unsalted butter it is, huh? LOL sorry pay check.

chutzpah Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:46am
post #6 of 12

SMBC or SMMC??

I wouldn'y use margarine in anything. Ever.

If butter is more expensive and you want to use it, then raise your prices.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 12

am not really selling anything right now. i use margarine for cookies and such. butter is really hard to come by around here. but for SMBC i guess i have to use butter. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

It has a very high water content instead of fat like the real butter.

There seem to be some misconceptions about the fat and water content of margarine, salted and unsalted butter:
(Margarine & salted butter are the same, while unsalted butter can have a slightly higher water content.)

http://tinyurl.com/hresc
(Chart showing compostion of salted, unsalted & whipped butter.)

Difference between butter and margarine:

http://www.ochef.com/864.htm

HTH

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:23am
post #9 of 12

wow. thanks for that JanH! i didn't know that. it's really cool, thanks so much!

so it really boils down to flavor, but doesn't everything? icon_smile.gif thanks again.

leahk Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 6:44am
post #10 of 12

janh- thanks for the link.
i actually started a nother post asking this and other q's abt SMBC, but didn't really get a response icon_sad.gif
i need to make a cake with all non-dairy ingredients. can i try margarine, or is it just a big waste of time????

HerBoudoir Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 12

I always use unsalted, then add the salt that is needed. The salt content in salted butter varies widely and can potentially ruin your baking by adding too much salt.

For non-dairy - frosting recipes containing margarine, shortening, and high-ratio shortening are all possibilities, although I think an american style vs a SMBC or IMBC would be more stable. I know there are a lot of frosting recipes here that use those rather than butter. To be fair, I don't use them at all so can't recommend a "best bet" option out of those.

robbynjaye Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:38pm
post #12 of 12

I know this is an old post, but I use salted butter. I tried unsalted butter and it tasted like something was off. i just couldnt get the taste I wanted. So I went back to salted butter and now my buttercream frosting is awsome! I get many requests to sell it in a tub form. It's the best around. So it all depends on preference and amounts of your other ingredients.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%