Putting Cake On Foam Core Board?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm by sharon57

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

I am planing on using foam core with ribbon around it for a wedding cake I am making in two weeks. I was going to put silver fancy foil on the foam core and ribbon around the edge, but I can't get the ribbon to look smooth because of the foil. My question is can you put the cake directly on the foam core or does it need something between it and the cake. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

6 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 7

IMO, you really need something on the foam core in order to not let the oils soak through to the board.

what style board are you doing? you should be able to wrap your foil tightly onto the board and then hot glue the ribbon around the edge...it's what I do for ALL of my cakes! PM me if you have any questions

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 7

I would think that it needs something between the cake and the board. I don't think that the board is not food safe. It is very easy to cover a board with fondant. That way you can make it match any design that you are doing.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

I'm pretty sure that foam board is not food safe therefore I wouldn't put food directly on it. At least put the cake on a cake board of the same size and tape it to the foam board.

I did a graduation cake and covered the board in coordinating wrapping paper, then covered that in food safe cellophane and then put the ribbon on the edge. It was a little time consuming but I felt better serving a cake on it that way.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 7

It's better to cover the foam core with something. If not, it will absorb moisture from your cake and icing and show stains on the board. You can use the contact shelving paper to cover the board. I like the clear. You can also cover your board in fondant. I have been attaching my ribbons to the foam core using double sided tape.

Trance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trance Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 7

Depending on the cake design...if I don't cover the board then I cut out a piece of transparent Cont-act shelf liner the same size as the foamboard and put that on top of it .

Trance

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your replies, I like the idea of the contact paper on top of the foam core. My board is round and I just can't seam to get the foil smooth around the edges.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%