I Keep Hearing About These Vinyl Mats From Walmart To ...

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm by lutie

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 21

Roll out your fondant on ...
I saw this on Joann's website and wonder if this may be used as well or if anyone has a link/picture to the Walmart one ...

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3081&PRODID=xprd388091

20 replies
butterflywings Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 21

Don't know about green one at joann's. But the vinyl at walmart is the stuff you see back in the fabric section on the LOOOOONG roll, with the other tablecloth vinyls and whatnot.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 21

OOooh ok ...
Is it kinda heavy duty or on the thin side ?

Thank you

butterflywings Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 21

its definitely thicker than the crappy wilton fondant mat i have... but you can still roll it up, so i guess it's on the thicker side LOL HTH

Price Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 21

You want the vinyl that is a little heavier. I bought a piece of the thin and the heavier. I like the heavier much better. The thinner doesn't lay as flat and tends to wrinkle under the fondant.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 21

Ok thicker and heavier it is then ...
Thank you ladies !!! thumbs_up.gif

arosstx Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 21

I bought enough of this stuff to have one big piece (for covering a large cake), and several smaller pieces (to throw on the counter when doing small accents for a bc cake). I love the stuff and think it works tons better then the wilton mat, and is much cheaper than the Ateco one!

I will say that I use the wilton mat though - UNDER the walmart vinyl, to make sure i roll my fondant out big enough! Saves me having to measure it, or worse, coming up short once the fondant is on the cake.

dg10148 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 21

I buy a bigger roll and cut to the size cake I need it for so it is easy to pick up and lay right on top of the cake and the fondant pulls off nice and easy. Then I wash them and tape them back on the roll to store them about once a year I go buy another big roll and use the ones I have cut out as my templates.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 21

Yes because I saw in Sugar Shack's video that technique for applyin the fondant ...
I cannot wait to try ...
I hate having to use cornstarch or ps only for it to keep sticking ...
Then having to go behind and get the powdered sugar off of the finished cake ... icon_mad.gif

aligotmatt Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 21

I have a few of the Ateco ones. I bought them from fondantsource . com the price was much better than other places.

sugarshack Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 21

I have tried the vinyl and it works fine but I just LUV the Ateco mat!

msauer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:27am
post #12 of 21

I haven't seen the Ateco mats yet (I'm off to check on those now icon_lol.gif ), but I have been using the clear vinyl from Joann's for some time. Here are two more little tid bits that I have found....

When I am careless about putting away the vinyl mat and it gets a little (ok....A LOT) wrinkled, I use a hair dryer to warm it up and flatten it out.

Also, I use one of those really bit fabric cutting mats underneath the clear vinyl when I have to do precision measuring and cutting- works like a charm!!!!

<------------------like the Tiffany box ring

Love the vinyl.

sugarshack Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:57am
post #13 of 21

^
l
l
l
l

Brilliant!

lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #14 of 21

I have used the Ateco mat and nothing compares to it.

Go to www.hancockfabrics.com and check out their vinyl. You will not have to spend $$ on gas... just order it online. Shipping is free with over $50 purchase, but if you search online, sometimes you can find promotion codes for free shipping, etc. I have the thick clear vinyl purchased at Hancock's... when they have a sale, you can get it @ 40% off!... plus it is as low as $.89/yard to a high of $3.59/yard of 54 inch material. ... it works just fine, but there is nothing like my Ateco mat!

Also, I have the fabric cutting mat that I put under the vinyl, but sometimes it slips at the most critical times.

So, with all of these, I must say that the Ateco was worth my $40.00 ... I have more money and gas involved in the vinyl fabric than the Ateco mat cost me delivered. What is it the Pennsylvania Dutch say, "Penny wise; Pound Foolish" ... sometimes that is my mantra, I believe.

msauer Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:31am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

What is it the Pennsylvania Dutch say, "Penny wise; Pound Foolish"

Hey, lutie- Are you from PA? I'm originally a PA Dutch Country Girl!!!! My family still all lives there!!!

-Michelle

Shola Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #16 of 21

Vinyl just wouldn't translate at the dept store here (I just got looked at like I had 3 heads icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif ) so I ended up buying a flat sheet of PVC for less than $1.50, I rolled out fondant/gumpaste on it last night and needed no corn flour or crisco! An even cheaper alternative if you can't find vinyl icon_biggrin.gif

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:29am
post #17 of 21

Thank you for the photo Shola !!!
Ok yes pvc ... I see you just tape it to the work area ...
I like that it is clear I can tape the Wilton mat underneath it for proper sizing of the fondant ... GREAT !!!

Thank you again !!!

lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:26pm
post #18 of 21

Hi! No, my kids were born there on the Main Line outside of Philly, but I am a "KFC child". The food there is absolutely the best, as are the people! The Amish communities had wonderful fare, and I got several recipes for my cakes in that area (coffee cakes, etc.).

aswartzw Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:44pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by msauer

When I am careless about putting away the vinyl mat and it gets a little (ok....A LOT) wrinkled, I use a hair dryer to warm it up and flatten it out.

Awesome idea! I bought some but it was so wrinkled I haven't even used it yet.

doitallmom Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shola

Vinyl just wouldn't translate at the dept store here (I just got looked at like I had 3 heads icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif ) so I ended up buying a flat sheet of PVC for less than $1.50, I rolled out fondant/gumpaste on it last night and needed no corn flour or crisco! An even cheaper alternative if you can't find vinyl icon_biggrin.gif

Where'd you find the pvc?

lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:23pm
post #21 of 21

Looks like sholo is in Thailand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%