Sugarpaste Flowers Colour Fading

Decorating By Classycakes Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 12:51pm by beachcakes

Classycakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 9

This past Wednesday I made some daisies from a 50/50 mixture of fondant & sugarpaste. I coloured them hot pink with white centers, using the Wilton rose colour gel. By yesterday, they had faded to a pale, pale pink. On the back underneath, they were still close to the original deep colour but the front/top were so pale, it was hard to tell them from the white ones. What am I doing wrong? Is it the Wilton colouring gel?

I just had them laid on my kitchen counter so although they weren't in the full sunlight, they were out in the open. Should I put them in some kind of container?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 80 burgundy roses to make next week and I'm very afraid I'll have the same problem.

8 replies
Malakin Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 9

They always told me that when you use coloring with gumpaste, it will dry lighter than your original mixed color. Sounds like to me the top was dry when you checked but the back wasn't fully dried. Try making it darker originally. Some CCer's swear by Americolor to be truest. I usually use Wilton cause of my limited supply where I live.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 9

Pink is notorious for fading. Americolor will help. I've had pink fade out to white.

fiddlesticks Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 9

I was told you have to steam the color to set it ?

tonedna Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 9

If you have UV lighting in your kitchen lightbulb it would make them fade too. Is better to put them far from windows and lighting.. And yes gumpaste dries lighter..

JenniferMI Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 9

I think Wilton fades much easier than Americolor. When I make anything pink, I keep it in the dark.

Jen icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 9

Sorry this happened! I think it's happened to all of us once! icon_smile.gif I believe it's the red that rades out - so pink, purple, fuchsia, burgundy will all fade. Sunlight, UV and ambient light will do it.

For the burgundy flowers next week, keep them in a dark room or at least covered with a clean towel to prevent fading.

Classycakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all so much! I'll make them much darker next time and keep them loosely covered.

I do have some basic Americolor colors so I'll use them on my roses. I just hope I can get that deep burgundy colour that my brides wants icon_cry.gif Hopefully they won't be pink roses by the time her wedding rolls around!!!

Thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 9

Americolor sells either a Burgundy or Maroon. The Wilton should be fine if you keep them covered as much as possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%