Filling Squeezing Out

Decorating By rvtgbrat Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm by indydebi

rvtgbrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvtgbrat Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 4

anyone have any suggestions on preventing my top cake layer from squeezing out the cream filling?

3 replies
Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

Ahhhh, the battle of the bulge. icon_sad.gif Been there, done that.

Are you putting a dam on the outter rim of each layer. The frosting dam will help to keep the filling in the center. Also, wait a bit before frosting the entire cake once you've torted and filled. Waiting a bit will allow gravity to let things settle.

Hope this helps.

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:15pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome to CC! Some people also add cake crumbs to their BC when making the dam. Tastes great & gives the BC more body to hold in the filling. It's also used for "repair work" on the cake itself. Either way has worked for most of us so just find what works best for you.... straight BC or BC/cake crumb combo.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 4

Add the dam .... only add filling to about halfway or 3/4's up the side of the dam. When you add the next layer, give it a good push-down. If any of the dam bulges out, use the spatula to smooth it When I have "concave" spaces on the side of the cake, I take a decorating bag with coupler but no tip and fill in the gap ... then smooth it with the spatula. Let sit for a bit.

Here's the best tip(s) on preventing bulging: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%